NEWTON ON OUSE CHURCH OF ENGLAND SCHOOL

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1151008

Date first listed: 20-Oct-1986

Date of most recent amendment: 21-Jan-1997

Statutory Address: NEWTON ON OUSE CHURCH OF ENGLAND SCHOOL, CHERRY TREE AVENUE

Map

Ordnance survey map of NEWTON ON OUSE CHURCH OF ENGLAND SCHOOL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1151008 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Dec-2018 at 21:00:26.

Location

Statutory Address: NEWTON ON OUSE CHURCH OF ENGLAND SCHOOL, CHERRY TREE AVENUE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: North Yorkshire

District: Hambleton (District Authority)

Parish: Newton-on-Ouse

National Grid Reference: SE5116660003

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SE 56 NW 2/23

NEWTON-ON-OUSE CHERRY TREE AVENUE (east side) Newton-on-Ouse Church of England School

GV II

School and masters house. 1854 (Bulmer and Co p 768). For the Hon Payan Dawney of Beningbrough Hall. Red brick in English garden wall bond, ashlar dressings, Welsh and green slate roofs. Single-storey gabled school, 2 rooms deep on left; 2-storey, 2-bay house on right. Quoins, chamfered plinths. School: offset diagonal buttresses; a flat-arched window with transom and 4 trefoil-headed lights under brick relieving arch: cusped spherical triangle in apex. Ashlar coping with fleur-de-lis finial. House: roll-moulded pointed-arch doorway on left has board door with decorative wrought-iron hinges. On right, bay window with moulded base, 3 trefoil-headed lights and stone roof. Above, 2 windows each with 2 round-headed lights. All windows have glazing bars. Eaves band. Moulded corbels to ashlar coping. Ridge cresting. Ridge stacks with moulded caps. Rear: school - window similar to front window but of 3-lights with a round-arched, single-light window to left; lateral stack on left. House: a 2-light and a 3-light window to ground floor; 2 2-light windows above; all as front. Single-storey range at right angles on left with shouldered doorway. Left return (schoolrooms): 3 bays defined by off-set buttresses; central 3- light window flanked by 2-light windows, all with trefoil-headed lights. 4th bay on left, lower and set back with angle buttresses and a 3-light window. Bulmer, T, and Co, Directory of North Yorkshire, 1890.

Listing NGR: SE511666003

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 332116

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Bulmer, T, History Topography and Directory of North Yorkshire, (1890), 768

End of official listing