OBELISK TO LADY MARY WORTLEY MONTAGU

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1151068
Date first listed:
18-Mar-1968
Statutory Address:
OBELISK TO LADY MARY WORTLEY MONTAGU, WENTWORTH CASTLE

Map

Ordnance survey map of OBELISK TO LADY MARY WORTLEY MONTAGU
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1151068 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Aug-2019 at 11:40:06.

Location

Statutory Address:
OBELISK TO LADY MARY WORTLEY MONTAGU, WENTWORTH CASTLE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Barnsley (Metropolitan Authority)
Parish:
Stainborough
National Grid Reference:
SE 31710 02987

Details

STAINBOROUGH WENTWORTH CASTLE SE30SW 1/48 Obelisk to Lady Mary Wortley-Montagu 18.3.68 GV II Obelisk. 1747, erected by the Second Earl of Strafford. Ashlar sandstone. Plinth. Moulded base and cornice to square die with badly-weathered inscription on marble panel, the inscription now recorded on C20 inset ashlar slab. Obelisk with pyramidal cap. Inscription reads:

'TO THE MEMORY / of the Rt. Hon. Lady / Mary Wortley Montagu / who in the Year 1720 / Introduced Inoculation / of the Small Pox into / England from Turkey / S... 17..'

Closes the vista of Broad Avenue seen to the west from the Palladian front of Wentworth Castle; known as the Sun Monument since it is said to have had a bronze bowl finial to reflect the sun's rays to Wortley Hall and the Wortleys' lodge on Wharncliffe Crag.

Lady Mary introduced the small pox innoculation after her return from Constantinople in 1718; she was an early pioneer in the work which did not become general until Janner's discoveries of the early Cl9 and compulsory innoculation in 1853.

Concise Dictionary of National Biography (Oxford), pp. 688, 891.

Listing NGR: SE3171002987

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
333923
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Concise Dictionary of National Biography, (1939), 688,891
Other
Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England, Part 37 South Yorkshire,

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 09 May 2006
Reference: IOE01/15520/33
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr John G Hinchcliffe. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].