1-9, Cobcar Lane

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1151088
Date first listed:
23-Apr-1974
Statutory Address:
1-9, Cobcar Lane, Elsecar, Barnsley, S74 8JQ

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1151088.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 26-Oct-2021 at 22:12:07.

Location

Statutory Address:
1-9, Cobcar Lane, Elsecar, Barnsley, S74 8JQ

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Barnsley (Metropolitan Authority)
Parish:
Non Civil Parish
National Grid Reference:
SE 38832 00423

Details

This list entry was subject to a Minor Enhancement on 26/10/2020

SE30SE 2/4

HOYLAND NETHER Elsecar COBCAR LANE (north side), Nos 1 to 9 (odd)

23.4.74

GV II Planned terrace. Mid-C19 for the Fitzwilliam estate with C20 additions to the rear.

MATERIALS: coursed, dressed sandstone, Welsh slate roof.

EXTERIOR: a two-storey terrace of five houses that has a nearly symmetrical front elevation. The central house is pedimented and breaks slightly forward. It has its door to the right of its ground-floor window, with two windows above. The flanking pairs of houses have their front doors to the far side of their ground-floor window, with just a single window above. The doors are boarded and each has an overlight with glazing bars forming a saltire cross. Windows have 16 panes, being vertical sliding sashes. Door and window openings have segmental-arched lintels tooled to imitate voussoirs, ground-floor windows also having sunken aprons. There is a band immediately below the first-floor cills. The eaves band has stone gutter brackets that continue beneath the coping to the central pediment, this having a glazed oculus. The gables have ashlar copings supported by heavy kneelers. The ridge features four stone-built stacks.

HISTORICAL CONTEXT: from the late C18, Elsecar was the industrial village of the Earls Fitzwilliam, whose seat of Wentworth Woodhouse lies nearby. At Elsecar they invested in coal mining and iron working, erecting industrial buildings along with good quality workers’ housing and a range of other urban facilities including a church and school, all within what had been an agricultural landscape. The survival of many of these buildings makes Elsecar an important and significant place, telling the story of three centuries of coal mining, Christian paternalism, and industrial boom and decline. The terrace of five houses, 1-9 Cobcar Lane, along with the adjacent and very similarly designed Cobcar Terrace were built after the 1849-1850 survey for the 1:10560 Ordnance Survey map, probably for the fifth Earl Fitzwilliam (1786-1857) who also commissioned similarly designed workers’ housing on Fitzwilliam Street. Workers’ housing provided by the Fitzwilliam Estate was regarded as being of a superior quality, for instance they were built with walled yards to both front and rear to provide private outdoor space in addition to the separate allotment garden that was assigned to each cottage.

Listing NGR: SE3883200423

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
333876
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Rimmer, J, Went, D, Jessop, L, The Village of Elsecar, South Yorkshire: Historic Area Assessment. Historic England Research Report 06-2019, (2019)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 16 Jun 2004
Reference: IOE01/12573/13
Rights: Copyright IoE Mrs Jean Bickerstaffe. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].