4-8, Distillery Side

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1151090
Date first listed:
21-Apr-1986
Statutory Address:
4-8, Distillery Side, Elsecar, Barnsley, S74 8HN

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1151090.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 28-Jan-2021 at 13:14:50.

Location

Statutory Address:
4-8, Distillery Side, Elsecar, Barnsley, S74 8HN

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Barnsley (Metropolitan Authority)
Parish:
Non Civil Parish
National Grid Reference:
SK3872499975

Details

This list entry was subject to a Minor Enhancement on 23/10/2020

SK39NE 5/6

HOYLAND NETHER Elsecar DISTILLERY SIDE (east side), Nos 4-8 (consec)

21.4.86

GV II Row of Cottages. Late C18 or early C19, altered. Derelict at the time of resurvey in 1986, subsequently renovated and extended for domestic use.

MATERIALS: coursed, squared sandstone, stone slate roof .

EXTERIOR: two storeys with a total of six windows to the first-floor. Extending northwards to the left (west) end of the terrace there is a single-storey rear wing. The main, (south) elevation is effectively symmetrical, with a pair of doors to the centre, flanked by a pair of windows, with a further door then window beyond. To the first-floor there is a window above each ground-floor window. The openings have various flush and projecting sills, some lintels tooled as voussoirs, others altered. At the time of resurvey there was an ashlar end stackend-stack to the left with similar ridge-stack to its right, a brick end-stack on right with similar ridge-stack to its left. In 2020 the brick end-stack and ashlar ridge-stack remained in situ. To the rear at the time of the resurvey there was a blocked central basket-archway, now internal within a later extension.

HISTORICAL CONTEXT: from the late C18, Elsecar was the industrial village of the Earls Fitzwilliam, whose seat of Wentworth Woodhouse lies nearby. At Elsecar they invested in coal mining and iron working, erecting industrial buildings along with good quality workers’ housing and a range of other urban facilities including a church and school, all within what had been an agricultural landscape. The survival of many of these buildings makes Elsecar an important and significant place, telling the story of three centuries of coal mining, Christian paternalism, and industrial boom and decline. The row of cottages is thought to be one of the buildings shown on an 1814 sketch plan of the ‘intended Coal Tar Works’ that gave Distillery Side its name, the tar distillery that which operateding 1814-1818. The row was probably built as workers’ housing for the adjacent Elsecar New Colliery which opened in 1795, the colliery employing 95 men and boys by 1798. The cottages have group value with Elsecar New Colliery which, with its Newcomen Engine House, is a Scheduled Monument.

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
333878
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Rimmer, J, Went, D, Jessop, L, The Village of Elsecar, South Yorkshire: Historic Area Assessment. Historic England Research Report 06-2019, (2019)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 24 May 2007
Reference: IOE01/16195/02
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr David Clayton. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].