STABLE RANGE APPROXIMATELY 30 METRES WEST OF GUNTHWAITE HALL BARN

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1151107
Date first listed:
25-Feb-1952
Statutory Address:
STABLE RANGE APPROXIMATELY 30 METRES WEST OF GUNTHWAITE HALL BARN, GUNTHWAITE LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of STABLE RANGE APPROXIMATELY 30 METRES WEST OF GUNTHWAITE HALL BARN
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1151107 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Jul-2019 at 20:46:15.

Location

Statutory Address:
STABLE RANGE APPROXIMATELY 30 METRES WEST OF GUNTHWAITE HALL BARN, GUNTHWAITE LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Barnsley (Metropolitan Authority)
Parish:
Gunthwaite and Ingbirchworth
National Grid Reference:
SE 23728 06558

Details

SE20NW GUNTHWAITE AND INGBIRCHWORTH GUNTHWAITE LANE (west side) Gunthwaite Stable range 2/35 approx. 30 metres 25.2.52 west of Gunthwaite Hall barn GV II* Stable range. Dated 1699; range at 90°, C18. For Godfrey Bosvile III (d.1714). Coursed squared rubble, asbestos sheet roof. Rectangular plan with wing at 90°. Two storeys, 4 bays. Chamfered plinth. Quoins. Near-central entrance with quoined surround and deep, chamfered lintel inscribed: 'G. B. (16)99' Similar door to right. Four double-chamfered cross windows. Continuous ground-floor drip-mould. Four 2-light double-chamfered windows to 1st floor, and plaque over main door with Bosvile coat of arms (badly eroded). The left bay is gabled and in the apex is a 2-light double-chamfered window between 2 drip-moulds. Chamfered gable copings on cut kneelers. Ball finials on short pedestals. Rear: new or altered ground-floor openings. Four 2-light double-chamfered windows to 1st floor. Left return: cross window to ground floor, 3-light window to 1st floor with hoodmould 2-light window to gable apex between drip-moulds, (as front), with dovecote openings above and to each side. The range at 90° to right, now a milking parlour has various door and window openings with square-cut surrounds. Interior: the main range has 6 king-post trusses with struts, braced to ridge. The truss to left has diagonal infill strutting. To the right one truss is infilled and has Cl7 panelling below. Remains of nesting boxes in left bay. The milking parlour is said to contain a cruck truss N. W. Alcock, Catalogue of Cruck Buildings (1973).

Listing NGR: SE2372806558

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
333815
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Alcock, N W, 'Council for British Archaeology Research Report' in Cruck Construction An Introduction And Catalogue, (1981)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].