BARNS AT SMALL SHAW FARMHOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1151138
Date first listed:
18-Mar-1968
Statutory Address:
BARNS AT SMALL SHAW FARMHOUSE, HOLLIN LANE OFF LEE LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of BARNS AT SMALL SHAW FARMHOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1151138 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Jun-2019 at 18:32:57.

Location

Statutory Address:
BARNS AT SMALL SHAW FARMHOUSE, HOLLIN LANE OFF LEE LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Barnsley (Metropolitan Authority)
Parish:
Dunford
National Grid Reference:
SE 20649 04057

Details

SE20SW HOLLIN LANE DUNFORD off Lee LANE (north side), Hazlehead 6/9 Barns at 18.3.68 Small Shaw Farmhouse GV II Two attached barns. Dated 1632 and 1687; altered. Coursed, squared rubble. Stone slate roofs. Both barns are single aisled and are at 90°. The earlier barn is of 4 internal bays and the later barn is probably the same. East side: the earlier barn, on right, has a square-headed cart-entry in the left bay which adjoins the other barn. A projecting stone bears the date. The right 3 bays project as the aisle and have chamfered entrance to left with cambered head; three small chamfered lights, 2 with round-arched heads and spandrel motif; and three inserted windows. Slightly later small outshut to rear. Right gable has later openings and is much altered. The later barn projects on left and to its gable has a chamfered entrance to each side of a C20 lean-to addition. At lst-floor level is a central doorway with quoined surround and Tudor-arched lintel with inscription. "D IA E " R 1687 R H L R To the right of this is a 3-light double-chamfered window with mullions removed. The left return (the aisle), has a part-blocked chamfered entrance to the left, and 3 later windows. Interior: the earlier barn has jowelled arcade posts braced to the arcade plate and the tie-beams. C19 king-post trusses, purlins and rafters. The junction of the two barns is open and has an open truss with 2 orders of struts, with an additional supporting post. Interior of later barn not inspected.

Listing NGR: SE2064904057

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
333789
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].