CHURCH OF ST JOHN AND ST MARY MAGDALENE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1151169

Date first listed: 23-Aug-1963

Date of most recent amendment: 18-Apr-1985

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST JOHN AND ST MARY MAGDALENE, LOCKWOOD ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST JOHN AND ST MARY MAGDALENE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1151169 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Dec-2018 at 01:53:50.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST JOHN AND ST MARY MAGDALENE, LOCKWOOD ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Barnsley (Metropolitan Authority)

National Grid Reference: SE 46352 04559

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SE40SE DEARNE LOCKWOOD ROAD (east side), Goldthorpe

7/38 Church of St. John and St. Mary Magdalene 23.8.63 (formerly listed as Church of Saint John the Evangelist and Saint Mary Magdalen) II Church. 1914-1916. By A. Y. Nutt. Reinforced concrete with exposed aggregate,pantile roof. 5-bay nave with aisles embracing square tower at south-west corner, 2-bay apsidal chancel with south chapel and gabled projections to north. Simplified Italianate style. Rectangular and tall round-headed lights in projecting square-faced surrounds, pilaster- strips at angles and between bays linking to projecting bands at eaves and verges. West front: shallow projecting porch flanked by small rectangular windows above which are tall round-headed lights. Central sculpture of Christ on the Cross set beneath moulded segmental canopy. Flanking strips continued to verge and crossed by band at eaves level. Tower to right: 3 stages with 2 rectangular windows to lower stages, to upper stage a tall arcade of 4 round-headed openings to each side. Hipped roof surmounted by large clock in decorative wood framework beneath a domed cupola. Nave: windows grouped 3 : 2 : 3 : 2 : 3, all round-headed with iron glazing bars, pilaster-strips between bays, reinforcing now exposed. Lower chancel in similar style: 4 round- headed lights to north chapel, small 3-light windows to apse. Interior: gallery at west end, 5 bay arcades with tall round arches, concrete tie-beam to each bay. Heavily-carved hexagonal wooden-pulpit, C18 Flemish. Imposing concrete baldicchino with tall Corinthian columns and imposts beneath an open segmental pediment. An early experiment in ferro-concrete construction now showing some of its faults. The tower forms a notable landmark.

Listing NGR: SE4635204559

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 333666

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing