NORTHERNMOST CHAPEL AT WOMBWELL CEMETERY

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1151173

Date first listed: 18-Apr-1985

Statutory Address: NORTHERNMOST CHAPEL AT WOMBWELL CEMETERY, CEMETERY ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of NORTHERNMOST CHAPEL AT WOMBWELL CEMETERY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1151173 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Nov-2018 at 13:45:54.

Location

Statutory Address: NORTHERNMOST CHAPEL AT WOMBWELL CEMETERY, CEMETERY ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Barnsley (Metropolitan Authority)

National Grid Reference: SE 39604 03155

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SE30SE WOMBWELL CEMETERY ROAD (north-west side), Wombwell

5/47 Northernmost Chapel at Wombwell Cemetery

GV II

Mortuary chapel now store. c1868. By Thomas Dobb of Rotherham. Thinly-coursed sandstone with some contrasting dressings, Welsh slate roof. Single-cell with corner spire. High Victorian style: polychromatic relieving arches, carved and contrasting bands. Battered plinth with chamfered band. Gable entry front: moulded, pointed doorway with colonnettes (all restored): circular window above with foiled openings in sunken ashlar panel; ashlar gable copings with stepped kneelers. Spire to right: square, buttressed base to octagonal turret with slit windows, carved bands and lucarnes. Cusped blind opening to each side beneath grotesques. Tapered spire with more grotesques beneath ashlar top. Rear: 4-light window beneath pierced circular panel. Returns: two 2-light windows flanked by single lights, pierced circular window beneath central gablet, windows bricked. Decorative cut-slate roof. Architect referred to in Barnsley Chronicle, 8/8/1867: cutting in Barnsley Local History Library.

Listing NGR: SE3960403155

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 333675

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
'Barnsley Chronicle' in 8 August, (1867)

End of official listing