SALEM WESLEYAN REFORMED CHURCH

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1151180
Date first listed:
13-Jan-1986
Statutory Address:
SALEM WESLEYAN REFORMED CHURCH, BLUCHER STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of SALEM WESLEYAN REFORMED CHURCH
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1151180 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Sep-2019 at 11:49:25.

Location

Statutory Address:
SALEM WESLEYAN REFORMED CHURCH, BLUCHER STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Barnsley (Metropolitan Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SE 34359 06161

Details

BARNSLEY BLUCHER STREET SE3406 (west side), Barnsley 9/4 Salem Wesleyan Reformed Church - II Independent chapel, now Wesleyan Reformed church. 1825. Hammer-dressed stone. Welsh slate roof. Two storeys, 3 x 2 bays. Pedimented gable front: central double door with deep fanlight. Sash windows, smaller to 1st floor. Tablet in tympanum reads: "ANNO DOMINI MDCCCXX(V)"

Sash windows to right and left returns.

Interior: 3-sided gallery with panelled front on slender cast-iron columns. Later organ in round-arched recess. Rounded, panelled pulpit with steps to each side. Communion rail with decorative wrought-iron supports. Straight- backed panelled pews. Panelled rear wall with side doors.

The Independent chapel became a Wesleyan Reformed Church in 1857.

Listing NGR: SE3435906161

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
333689
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 23 Sep 2001
Reference: IOE01/04204/27
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr John Kril. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].