CHURCH OF ST OSWALD

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1151342

Date first listed: 20-Jun-1966

Statutory Address: Church of St Oswald, Front Street, Sowerby

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST OSWALD
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1151342 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Nov-2018 at 12:46:36.

Location

Statutory Address: Church of St Oswald, Front Street, Sowerby

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: North Yorkshire

District: Hambleton (District Authority)

Parish: Sowerby

National Grid Reference: SE 43115 81374

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 25/03/2014

SE 4281 9/11

SOWERBY, FRONT STREET (east side), Church of St Oswald

(Formerly listed under MAIN STREET)

20.6.66

II*

Church. Norman south doorway with 2 orders of colomettes, scalloped capitals and one with intertwined trails, zig-zag and beakhead in the arch. Squat 3-stage tower, the top stage, with 2-light openings and castellations, is an addition, the rest may be C15. Otherwise C19 and C20 of 3 periods:- (i) the main structure; sandstone ashlar, stone slate roof. Neo-Norman. Cruciform in plan. Aisleless nave, crossing, transepts and short chancel. Elaborate wooden roof structure to interior, 1842 E B Lamb. (ii) the wooden lantern 1879-83; Hodgson Fowler.(iii) the north aisle, of almost equal width to nave. 3 bays with elongated, octagonal piers. Pointed barrel vault. 3-light windows with trefoil heads under straight heads, Brierley 1902. Later vestry attached to west of aisle. Jacobean panelling near the altar. Pevsner, N., Yorkshire, North Riding, 1966, p357.

Listing NGR: SE4311581374

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 333250

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Yorkshire: The North Riding, (1966), 357

End of official listing