CHURCH OF SAINTS GREGORY AND CUTHBERT

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1151363

Date first listed: 23-Jun-1966

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF SAINTS GREGORY AND CUTHBERT, STATION ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF SAINTS GREGORY AND CUTHBERT
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1151363 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Nov-2018 at 05:58:47.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF SAINTS GREGORY AND CUTHBERT, STATION ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: North Yorkshire

District: Hambleton (District Authority)

Parish: Kildale

National Park: NORTH YORK MOORS

National Grid Reference: NZ 60430 09587

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

KILDALE STATION ROAD NZ 60 NW North side (off) 6/138 Church of Saints 23/6/66 Gregory and Cuthbert

GV II

Parish church. Rebuilt on site of previous church 1868, by Fowler Jones of York (Pevsner, p.207). Rock-faced stone with ashlar dressings; Welsh slate roofs; ashlar copings and ridges. 2-stage west tower; 4-bay nave with north aisle and south porch; lower 2-bay chancel with north vestry. In Decorated style. Quoins; chamfered plinth; buttresses with offsets; eaves band; gable crosses. Tower: corner buttresses; south-east vice with trefoil band below attached stone spire with grotesque finial; 2-light west window below band of 3 coats of arms; slit windows at top of lower stage; louvred belfry opening with hoodmould to each side; corner gargoyles linked by dentilled eaves band; pyramidal roof with weather vane. Nave: gabled porch has tripartite-headed doorway with hoodmould and open- traceried double door (now glazed): medieval carved stones in gable, central one with flower. 1-light window to left of porch, 2 of 3 lights to right having cusped lights below cinquefoils all with hoodmoulds. North aisle has 4 cusped lights and a 2-light plate- tracery window to west end. Chancel: priest's door with hoodmould flanked by 1-light windows; 3-light east window. Interior: in porch 4 medieval grave covers, 2 having raised crosses with fleur- de-lis terminals, one with inscribed fleury cross, and the 4th with inscribed cross and sword. At west end, circular head of medieval cross. East window 1898 by Kempe (Pevsner p207). Probably C16 font, having circular base and column supporting circular basin with tapering ribs. Probably C12 font, circular, with roll-moulded base and slightly tapered sides.

N. Pevsner, Buildings of England : Yorkshire, The North Riding, (1981).

Listing NGR: NZ6043009587

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 333197

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Yorkshire: The North Riding, (1966), 207

End of official listing