CHURCH OF ST ANDREW

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1151383
Date first listed:
23-Jun-1966
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST ANDREW, CHURCH BANK

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST ANDREW
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1151383 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Jul-2019 at 19:55:50.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST ANDREW, CHURCH BANK

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
North Yorkshire
District:
Hambleton (District Authority)
Parish:
Ingleby Greenhow
National Park:
NORTH YORK MOORS
National Grid Reference:
NZ 58092 06280

Details

INGLEBY GREENHOW CHURCH BANK NZ 50 NE North-west side (off) 5/87 Church of 23/6/66 St. Andrew GV I Church. C12, C13, 1741 and 1906. Coursed squared stone, the C18 work herringbone-tooled; nave roof not visible, chancel roof metalled; stone coping. West turret: 5-bay nave with north aisle and south porch; 2-bay chancel (3 bays internally) with north vestry. West turret: C12 base has round-arched slit window on west side; bell stage corbelled on west side with broad, trefoil-headed, louvred, openings; coved cornice; pyramidal stone roof with pyramidal finial. Nave: south side 1741. Door within C18 gabled porch which has C20 double door in round-arched surround with imposts and dropped keystone, recessed date plaque, eaves band and cusped kneelers. 3 windows with keyed segmental-arched lintels. Gutter spouts. Eaves band. Shallow roof. North aisle has C18 windows. Chancel : south side has C12 priest's door with archivolt in C18 surround with columns, imposts and keyed round arch; segmental-arched window to left; lancet to right; shallow roof. C18 keyed segmental-arched window to east end. On north side chamfered plinth, a square-headed window, and 1906 vestry in C16 style.

Interior: probably late C12 stepped round-arched aisle arcade with hoodmould, the columns alternately circular and octagonal and having coved capitals with recessed angles containing heads and animals, the carvings possibly C19. In nave north wall, fragments of medieval carved stones. Narrow round arch to turret which has splayed reveal to slit window. Round chancel arch on attached circular columns with imposts, flanked by squints. Chancel south-east window has shouldered-arched reveal. Nave roof has cambered tie-beams on later corbels, with short king-posts and later purlins, ridge-piece and rafters. Chancel has very short crownpost trusses. Nave south door is C18 panelled double door. Two recumbent effigies, one of a priest (Willimus Wrelton, incumbent c.1300), the other of a knight (probably C15), both on rebuilt bases, that below the priest effigy incorporating fragments of carved medieval stones. C12 tub font on probably C13 swept circular base with deep roll moulding, the carving of the basin not fully finished. N. Pevsner, Buildings of England, Yorkshire, The North Riding (1981) pp 201-202.

Listing NGR: NZ5809006277

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
333146
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Yorkshire: The North Riding, (1966), 201-202

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 30 Jun 2001
Reference: IOE01/07756/15
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Chris Broadribb. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].