MAIN ENGINE SHOP TO REAR OF ORIGINAL PLANT WORKS BUILDING AT DONCASTER STATION

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1151419

Date first listed: 05-Sep-1988

Statutory Address: MAIN ENGINE SHOP TO REAR OF ORIGINAL PLANT WORKS BUILDING AT DONCASTER STATION, HEXTHORPE ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of MAIN ENGINE SHOP TO REAR OF ORIGINAL PLANT WORKS BUILDING AT DONCASTER STATION
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1151419 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Nov-2018 at 14:00:52.

Location

Statutory Address: MAIN ENGINE SHOP TO REAR OF ORIGINAL PLANT WORKS BUILDING AT DONCASTER STATION, HEXTHORPE ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Doncaster (Metropolitan Authority)

National Grid Reference: SE 56980 02971

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TOWN OF DONCASTER HEXTHORPE ROAD SE 50 SE (east side)

3/38 Main engine shop to rear of original Plant Works building at Doncaster Station

GV II

Original erecting shops and boiler shop, now main machine shop. 1853 with later additions c1860s for Great Northern Railway. Dark red brick with brick and stone dressings and corrugated plastic roof. Tall single-storey throughout. Erecting shops to north, 15 bays long and 3 wide gabled bays across, wider infill bay to south with double gabled boiler shop, beyond of 13 bays long. Later additions to end and sides not of special interest. Side elevations of erecting shops have continuous ashlar sill band and bays articulated by brick pilasters with friezes and cornices supporting simple entablature with dentilled cornice. Each bay has tall segmental-headed window with small pane metal casement windows. End elevation to north-west has large segmental-arched window to central bay and three segmental- headed small-pane metal casements above inserted doorways to side bays. Opposite elevation has been rendered and has similar arrangement of pilasters and arched windows as side elevation, also sunken panels to gables. Central bay has wide segmental arched opening, now glazed. Later infill bay and boiler shop, . all built in similar style with pilasters, arched windows and gabled fronts. Interior of erecting shops and boiler shop, have their original arcades with round arches on massive brick piers with stone impost blocks. All roofs are C20. Listed partly for historic interest, as the place where some of the most innovative locomotives were built. Source: 'History of the Dcncaster Plant works from 1853 to the prese5Lt . day', by J E Day 1953'.

Listing NGR: SE5698002971

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 335033

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Day, J E , History of Doncaster Plant Works from 1853 to Present Day, (1953)

End of official listing