PRIORY METHODIST CHURCH

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1151433

Date first listed: 05-Sep-1988

Statutory Address: PRIORY METHODIST CHURCH, PRINTING OFFICE STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of PRIORY METHODIST CHURCH
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1151433 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 14-Nov-2018 at 11:55:41.

Location

Statutory Address: PRIORY METHODIST CHURCH, PRINTING OFFICE STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Doncaster (Metropolitan Authority)

National Grid Reference: SE 57433 03149

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TOWN OF DONCASTER PRINTING OFFICE STREET SE 5703 SW (south side)

6/76 Priory Methodist Church

GV II

Methodist church. 1832 by William Hurst, with minor later alterations. Painted ashlar and stucco with slate roof. Large galleried hall to rear of central. hallway with side staircases. Two storeys, 5 bays. Plinth. Horizontal rustication to ground floor, three central bays slightly advanced, taller central bay flanked by recessed, narrower bays. Each bay has rusticated corner pilasters; frieze, with triglyphs over the pilasters; moulded cornice and blocking course; central bay with central anthemion. All have elaborately panelled double leaf doors below panelled lintels and radial glazed fan lights, set in semi-circular openings with rusticated voussoris. Side bays have unequal hung 25 pane sashes below flat arches of rusticated voussoirs. Wide first floor band and narrow sill band to 5 pilastered semi-circular headed windows set in semi-circular headed recesses with C19 leaded glazing. Eaves band, with plain frieze and moulded cornice over. Parapet has moulded plinth and is stepped up over central 3 bays with long recessed panel inscribed 'Priory Methodist Church', over this is a cornice with blocking course which is stepped up to centre and inscribed 1832, central anthemion over. Side bay parapets have smaller recessed panels and moulded copings. Hipped roof. Interior has open well staircases to either side of hall with barley twist balusters. Chapel has panelled gallery on all four sides with curved ends, supported by thin cast iron columns. Apse to far end flanked by paired giant pilasters-. Large original ceiling rose and medallioned cornice. Most of these features now obscured by lower C20 ceiling. NMR photographs.

Listing NGR: SE5743303149

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 335072

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing