Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Date of most recent amendment:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1151446.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Oct-2021 at 12:02:09.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Doncaster (Metropolitan Authority)
Non Civil Parish
National Grid Reference:
SE 61850 01439


`In the entry for: TOWN OF DONCASTER CHURCH LANE (west side) SE 60 SW Cantley 4/6 Church of St Wilfred

II* The entry shall be amended to read:- .

SE 60 SW CHURCH LANE (west side) Cantley

Church of St Wilfrid



TOWN OF DONCASTER CHURCH LANE SE 60 SW (west side) Cantley 4/6 Church of St Wilfred

- II*

Church. Early C13, C14, C15 tower, restoration 1874 by G G Scott, north aisle added and restoration by Sir Ninian Comper 1892-4. Rendered rubble stone and ashlar with stone dressings and stone slate roof. West tower with south vestry, 3-bay aisled nave with south porch, lower 2 bay chancel. Three stage ashlar west tower has diagonal offset buttresses up to bell stage to all corners and deep moulded plinth, also stringcourse between stages. Deeply chamfered 4-centred arched west door with Perpendicular traceried 3-light window over in deep 4-centred arched surround with original hoodmould with head stops. Blind second stage. Bell stage with pointed 2-light cusped traceried openings in deep cavetto surrounds plus original hoods. Eaves stringcourse with central and corner gargoyles, embattled parapets with crocketed corner and central pinnacles. Lean-to south vestry with C19 trefoil- headed lancet with hood to west. C19 north aisle has stepped buttresses between bays and diagonal buttresses to west corner. North elevation has central 2-light window with 4-light window to west and single-light window to east, all flat-headed with cusped lights, incised spandrels and returned hoods. Pointed, traceried west and east windows with hoodmoulds. Stone coped gable to nave. Chancel has one single-light and one 2-light C19 window, similar to aisle ones with C19 addition below with 4-centred arched lights. East elevation has C13 stepped triple lancet window with original continuous hood with head stops on continuous roll moulded sill flanked by stepped diagonal buttresses. Above original trefoil panel with carving in and a C13 ridge corbel supporting later cross. South side of chancel has central quoined doorcase with semi-circular headed panel incised into large lintel, to east is a large C19 3-light flat-headed ogee traceried window with hood- mould and to west is a C15 2-light flat-headed window with cusped lights and incised spandrels. C19 lancet to east of south aisle with enset crucifix war memorial to side. South elevation of aisle has three C19 windows similar to south chancel window, two to east 2-light and that to west single-light. C15 rubble stone porch between western windows with chamfered pointed arched door on carved corbels and stone coped gables with moulded kneelers. Ribbed, vaulted roof and stone benches within plus C13 pointed inner door. This has moulded jambs and imposts, arch with nailhead enrichment and hoodmould with head stops and carved keystone. Interior has 3 bay north and south arcades of double chamfered pointed arches on octagonal piers with moulded capitals, except eastern arch on carved corbel responds. North arcade a copy of C14 south arcade. Tall pointed tower arch with chamfered soffit on corbels. Wide double chamfered pointed chancel arch with small ogee-headed rood screen door above to north. Chancel has two blocked moulded pointed arches and small pointed C19 door, to north, also ogee-headed alms cupboard. Pointed piscina to south. Small ogee headed staircase door in tower. Simple C19 roofs, that to chancel and south chapel painted to match rood screen and north and south chapel screens by Comper. Rood screen has open Decorated traceried arcade with ribbed vaulting supporting gallery with pierced timber panel front and moulded frieze. North chapel has open Perpendicular traceried screen with brattished top and south chapel has cusped arcaded screens with Tudor flower frieze to top. Chancel has similar reredos and painted walls. Unpainted Comper font cover to C14 stone font with large column stem and octagonal bowl. South chapel has cinquefoil-headed piscina and ogee headed niches with statues flanking eastern lancet. Other fittings plain and C19, except elaborate 1905 organ in tower, and C18 box pews to rear of nave. Wall memorials, all in tower, one elaborate grey marble one with figure of Christ in pedimented surround to John Walbanke Childers, died 1812. Two early C19 and one late C19 tablets. Stained glass throughout, all by Comper.

Listing NGR: SE6185001439

This List entry has been amended to add sources for War Memorials Online and the War Memorials Register. These sources were not used in the compilation of this List entry but are added here as a guide for further reading, 26 October 2017.


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


War Memorials Online, accessed 26 October 2017 from
War Memorials Register, accessed 26 October 2017 from


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 09 Mar 2004
Reference: IOE01/11075/12
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Brian Harris. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].