CHURCH OF ST LAURENCE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1151473

Date first listed: 19-Oct-1962

Date of most recent amendment: 10-Mar-1992

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST LAURENCE, CHURCH LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST LAURENCE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1151473 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Nov-2018 at 00:34:04.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST LAURENCE, CHURCH LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Doncaster (Metropolitan Authority)

National Grid Reference: SE 54098 08601

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ADWICK-LE-STREET CHURCH LANE SE 50 NW (north-west side)

6/9 Church of St. Lawrence (Formerly listed as Church of St Lawrence)

19.10.62 GV II*

Church. C12, C13, C14 and C15 restored 1862 and 1875, Rubble and ashlar limestone, stone slate roofs, 2-stage west tower, 3-bay nave with south porch and north aisle, narrower 2-bay chancel with north chapel and vestry. Tower: Perpendicular; chamfered plinth and moulded band, diagonal buttresses to lower stage. West side has pointed 3-light window in chamfered surround beneath clock; string course with image niche; cusped iron clockface on south side; louvred, cusped 2-light belfry openings with pointed arches beneath string course with gargoyles; embattled parapet with crocketed pinnacles (1 missing). Nave: south wall encased in 1875 with chamfered plinth and broad buttresses; half-timbered porch of same date encloses C12 south doorway with single order of columns within pier projections, hoodmould and cusped image niche over. Bays 2 and 3 have renewed 3-light windows with intersecting tracery beneath gables which rise above offsets of encasing wall; plain parapet. C15 north wall of large ashlar blocks has chamfered plinth, moulded band, buttresses between bays and diagonal west buttress. Blocked, square-headed north door beneath uncusped, square-headed window of 3 Tudor-arched lights, similar windows to other bays; aisle east window has hoodmould. Chancel: lower and of various builds. Chamfered, square-headed south priests' door beneath section of dripcourse; to west, a 2-light window with shouldered heads; to east, a pointed 2-light window with geometrical tracery and a square-headed window of 2 ogee lights, the latter flanked on left by a slender flat buttress and on right by ashlar walling with diagonal east buttress. String course steps down beneath east window with geometrical tracery and hoodmould; oculus to coped gable. C13 north chapel has slender buttresses flanking and beneath 2 lancet windows and has vesica in coped gable. North wall has lancet window and blocked, square-headed window on left of gabled vestry.

Interior: treble-chamfered, pointed tower arch. Early C14 north aisle arcade with octagonal piers and matching west respond, moulded capitals and 3 double-chamfered pointed arches. Restored C15 nave roof with shallow principal-rafter trusses with cusped stud infill, the end trusses set on short posts with half-octagonal colonnettes; 2 purlins to each slope with mask bosses at each truss and foliate bosses to ridge. Moulded north aisle roof. Chancel: broad, double-chamfered chancel arch (the north end set on a pier as aisle); double-chamfered arch from aisle to chapel. 2-bay chapel arcade with quatrefoil pier and matching responds to double-chamfered arches, also a half-arch to west. Chancel south wall to west has left jamb and the head of a C12 window with blocked priest's door on its left. 2-seat sedilia with central shaft and restored round arches. C2O chancel roof. Monuments: cross-slab fragments in chancel floor. Tomb chest beneath east bay of chapel arcade to James Washington with shields above chamfered plinth and alabaster top, dated 1579, depicting him on his wife's left above 12 named children; another in north-east corner of chapel to Leonard Wray with date 1590; a third in south-east corner with shields in quatrefoils and much inscription. Early C19 monuments on north wall of chapel including plaque in columned aedicule to John White of Doncaster and the East India Co. (d.1837). Brasses: within sedilia to Rev. Hall (d.1793) and Rev. Brook (d.1720); another brass in chancel notes details of C19 restorations. Glass: 2 east windows of chapel by J. E. Nuttgens of High Wycunbe, 1943.

Listing NGR: SE5409808601

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 334873

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing