Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1151488.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 28-Feb-2021 at 22:50:50.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Doncaster (Metropolitan Authority)
Barnby Dun with Kirk Sandall
National Grid Reference:
SE 61419 09730


BARNBY DUN CHURCH ROAD SE 60 NW WITH KIRK SANDALL (west side), Barnby Dun 8/38 Church of St. Peter 5.6.68 and St. Paul


Church. Early C14 and C15; chancel rebuilt 1860 by Hadfield and Goldie. Ashlar magnesian limestone, lead and slate roofs. West tower, 4-bay aisled nave with south porch, wider 3-bay chancel. Tower: Perpendicular; 3 stages. Chamfered plinth, moulded band, full-height angle buttresses. String course beneath 3-light west window having hollow-chamfered surround and hoodmould with head-carved stops; string courses below and above 2nd stage; 2-light belfry windows with louvres and hoodmoulds with head-carved stops; string course with north and south gargoyles beneath embattled parapet with 8 crocketed pinnacles. Navel Decorated; gabled porch to bay 2 with double- chamfered arch springing from plainly-chamfered jambs, hoodmould with head- carved stops; square sundial beneath coped gable; arch of inner door is double-quadrant moulded and has hoodmould. Aisle has angle buttresses to west and east and buttress between bays 3 and 4; 2- and 3-light windows with reticulated tracery in chamfered, square-headed surrounds, animated gargoyles beneath oversailing parapet with roll-moulded copings. Clerestorey: pointed 2-light windows with cusped and foiled lights; door to east. String course with water spouts beneath parapet; steeply-pitched roof with east gable copings. North aisle, similar to south aisle, has pointed, quadrant-moulded north doorway and easternmost window of 3-lights with buttress to right having crocketed-ogee niche. Chancel: buttresses to east angles and between bays; south side has double-quadrant moulded priests' door and string course beneath cusped and foiled 2-light windows with hoodmoulds and head-carved stops. Moulded eaves cornice; steeply-pitched roof with roll-moulded east gable copings and base for cross; pointed 5-light east window in same style as south windows, the flanking buttresses having statue niches with crocketed-ogee heads. Interior: organ built across tall treble-chamfered tower arch. 4-bay aisle arcades with quatrefoil piers, moulded capitals and double-chamfered arches; crocketed, ogee recess at east end of north aisle north wall, window on left has angels beneath brackets in the jambs. Tall quadrant-moulded and hollow- chamfered chancel arch on keeled responds, that to south incorporating a cylindrical stair-turret, Decorated 3-seat sedilia with cusped openings and hoodmould springing from angels; matching piscina niche on left with bowl in the head of an outstretched figure of a man. C19 roofs, Fittings: Perpendicular font, octagonal with shield or leaf motifs. Octagonal wooden pulpit with carved panels, probably C19; also C19 traceried, 8-panel reredos, Monuments: two C19 wall monuments in north aisle, another to James Bruce (d.1798) has woman with pelican and 3 young at her knee. beside a pedestal with vase. In south aisle a C17 architraved stone plaque with skulls and shields of arms, in memory of Roger Portington. On chancel north wall a standing monument to Francis Gregory (d.1671) has 3 shields to its base and foliage about an inscribed cartouche; set on wall above, a crest with mantling and another stone with 3 cherubs' heads. To right a monument to Sir Thomas Hodgson and daughter Frances (d.1732) of Bramwith Hall, by Scheemakers, has their busts beside a sarcophagus surmounted by gadrooned vase.

Listing NGR: SE6141709730


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 07 Sep 2007
Reference: IOE01/16759/18
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr David Robson. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].