This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL

List entry Number: 1151519

Location

CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL, STATION ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: Doncaster

District Type: Metropolitan Authority

Parish: Rossington

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 05-Jun-1968

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 334771

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SK69NW ROSSINGTON STATION ROAD (south side) 7/70 Church of St. Michael 5th June 1968 GV II* Church. C12 with mid C14 tower; mostly rebuilt 1844 by Clark of Leeds for patron Sir James Brown. Magnesian limestone and sandstone ashlar, graduated slate roof. West tower, 4-bay nave with transepts; narrower chancel with separately-roofed north vestry. Tower: magnesian limestone, 4 stages, Perpendicular. Chamfered plinth and moulded band; diagonal west buttresses with offsets; string courses between stages. Small west doorway in quadrant- moulded surround with hoodmould beneath 3-light window with plain tracery in similar surround; clock faces to short 3rd stage. Pointed 2-light belfry openings with louvres, panel tracery and hoodmoulds; north and south gargoyles to embattled parapet with 8 crocketed pinnacles. Nave: sandstone; rebuilt 1844 in Early English style on deeply-chamfered plinth. Gabled porch to bay 1 encloses restored C12 south door having shafted jambs and beak-heads beneath billeted hoodmould. West angles of nave have buttresses with chamfered arrises and offsets from which rise pinacles with gablets. Impost string course links lancet windows with shafted jambs, acanthus capitals and moulded arches; beak-head corbel table at eaves. Gabled transepts, in same style, have larger lancet windows to north and south. Gable copings, east cross to nave. Chancel: lower, mid C19 in Norman and Early English styles. Round-arched south door with shafted jambs and moulded arch beneath voussoirs; C12-style 1-light window on right; buttresses, eaves corbels, east window and east gable details as nave. Vestry has north door with shouldered lintel and rectangular window on right. Interior: tall, pointed tower arch with quadrant-moulded inner order. C19 nave and transept roofs of arch-braced trusses on carved stone corbels. Excellent mid-C12 chancel arch has re-entrant jambs with short shafts and half-round responds starting high up; respond capitals have corner masks and entwined trail carving; arch has zig-zag to west and pelleted outer order beneath carved and billeted hood. Font: plain pre-Conquest tub on chamfered plinth and with cable-moulded rim. Pulpit: C15 on later foot; wooden, octagonal with sides having 2 cusped lights beneath Perpendicular tracery; raised lettering around top with name Richard Stancall (reputedly brought from the old Church of St. Mary Magdalene, Doncaster). Stained glass: east window of 1862 by J. B. Capronnier of Brussels. Wall monument in chancel by Walsh and Lee of Leeds to James Brown of Harehills Grove, Leeds (d.1845); another to James Brown of Rossington (d.1877). N. Pevsner, B.O.E, 1967 ed; plate 17a Parochial Church Council, A Home for God's family - St. Michael's, Rossington, Church guide.

Listing NGR: SK6250898396

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Parochial Church Council, , A Home for Gods Family St Michaels Rossington
Pevsner, N, Radcliffe, E, The Buildings of England: Yorkshire: The West Riding, (1967), 17a

National Grid Reference: SK 62508 98396

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1151519 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Sep-2018 at 11:23:43.

End of official listing