CHURCH OF ST JOHN

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1151529

Date first listed: 05-Jun-1968

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST JOHN

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST JOHN
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1151529 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Nov-2018 at 05:55:34.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST JOHN

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Doncaster (Metropolitan Authority)

Parish: Cadeby

National Grid Reference: SE 51482 00527

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

CADEBY SE50SW

1/15 Church of St. John 5.6.68

II



Church now disused. 1856. By Sir George Gilbert Scott for patron Sir. J. W. Copley Bart. Ashlar magnesian limestone, graduated slate roof. 3:2 bays with aisles and chapels embraced in single vessel, gabled south porch. In Gothic Revival style Chamfered plinth, low side walls with buttresses between bays and at angles having offsets and gablets. Continuous nailhead carving and string course run beneath lancet windows with chamfered surrounds, cusping and hoodmoulds. Large porch to bay 2 has treble-shafted, moulded arch beneath sunken trefoil with naturalistic carving; outer and inner sides have 3-bay arcading with shafts, blind side lights and shared hoodmoulds continued from the south door impost (inner arcading now very weathered). Priests' door on right of bay 4 has pointed arch and hoodmould. Chamfered eaves band and hidden gutter to catslide roof with coped gables and decorated apex stones; sanctus bell-cote with ashlar base and wooden belfry. Large buttresses flank tall, paired, 2-light west windows in moulded surrounds with cusping and quinquefoils at each head, shared hoodmoulds; raised circular surround to gable window with 3 trefoils. Similar buttresses flank a 3-light east window having 3 trefoils in a circle at its head and hoodmould; aisle lancets. Octagonal flue at north-east corner. Interior: aisle arcades have circular piers, capitals with naturalistic foliage carving and moulded arches. Chancel arch has keeled and shafted responds and head-carved hoodmould stops. Chapel arcades have keeled, quatrefoil piers and angels on the hoodmould stops. Although disused the church retains most contemporary fittings including octagonal font and wooden pulpit. Interior not fully inspected. The church seated 150 persons and cost £6,000 to build; consecrated Sept 25 1860 (Whites Directory of Sheffield 1862, p525).

Listing NGR: SE5148200527

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 334790

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Other
White's Directory of Sheffield, (1862)

End of official listing