TRAVIS STUDIO

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1151562
Date first listed:
29-Sep-1987
Statutory Address:
TRAVIS STUDIO, CHURCH STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of TRAVIS STUDIO
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1151562.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Nov-2019 at 04:13:40.

Location

Statutory Address:
TRAVIS STUDIO, CHURCH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Doncaster (Metropolitan Authority)
Parish:
Thorne
National Grid Reference:
SE 68920 13281

Details

THORNE CHURCH STREET SE 6813 (SE 61 SE) (north side) 15/94 Travis Studio GV II Charity school now sculptor's studio. Dated 1863, later addition to rear. Ashlar sandstone dressings to red brick in English bond, Welsh slate roof. Single storey; twin-gabled front with bell turret and spire rising from centre and small, gabled, side porches; in Gothic Revival style. Rendered walling beneath moulded plinth band, ashlar quoins. Each gable has an inscribed panel reading 'TRAVIS'S CHARITY SCHOOL' / FOUNDED 1770 ERECTED 1863' set beneath sill of a square-headed 3-light window with Decorated-style tracery under brick relieving arch. Buttress and corbelling to central octagonal bell turret with foiled openings beneath gablets and 2 offsets at base of spirelet. Flanking gables have foiled openings, shaped kneelers and copings with apex finials. Set back to each side the porches have double doors and overlights beneath pointed arches and hoodmoulds with carved stops; shaped kneelers and gable copings. Main building has lateral stacks and ridge ventilators. C20 additions to rear not of special interest. Interior: original roof exposed in right-hand part has arch-braced trusses each with 2 collars linked by braced post.

Listing NGR: SE6892013281

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
334672
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 30 Aug 2004
Reference: IOE01/12201/05
Rights: Copyright IoE Ms Janet Tierney. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].