CHURCH OF ST SAVIOUR

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1151573
Date first listed:
11-Jan-1988
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST SAVIOUR, MAIN STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST SAVIOUR
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1151573 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Sep-2019 at 00:40:35.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST SAVIOUR, MAIN STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Doncaster (Metropolitan Authority)
Parish:
Auckley
National Grid Reference:
SE 65187 00734

Details

SE60SE AUCKLEY MAIN STREET. (west side) 4/2 Church of St. Saviour - GV II Church. 1837. By William Hurst of Doncaster (Woodhouse p.61). Yellow brick in Flemish bond, C20 cement-tile roof. Combined nave and chancel with north and south porches; 3 bays. Gothic Revival style. Chamfered plinth. Central north porch has panelled door and pointed overlight in chamfered brick surround with string course rising as hoodmould and peaked string course over; ashlar gable copings rise to apex block with gablets. Sides of porch have square-headed, 2-light mullioned windows with string course rising over as a hoodmould. Outer bays have string course continued from porch and pilaster buttresses to outer sides of 2-light windows having cusped cast-iron tracery in double-chamfered, pointed-arched surrounds with hoodmoulds. Eaves band with corbelled blocks forming kneelers to ashlar gable copings; east cross; ashlar west bellcote. East window is of 3-lights with cusped, cast- iron tracery. West end has 2 blind lancet windows and gable vesica. The cast-iron windows were supplied by Messrs. Marshall of Derby; other building details recorded in: Rev G. H. Woodhouse, Finningley, 1877.

Listing NGR: SE6518700734

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
334700
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Woodhouse, G , Finningley, (1877)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 05 Jun 2007
Reference: IOE01/16413/25
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr David Robson. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].