THE MANOR HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1151574

Date first listed: 27-May-1953

Statutory Address: THE MANOR HOUSE, HIGH STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of THE MANOR HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1151574 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Nov-2018 at 10:28:49.

Location

Statutory Address: THE MANOR HOUSE, HIGH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Doncaster (Metropolitan Authority)

Parish: Austerfield

National Grid Reference: SK 66174 94974

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SOUTH YORKSHIRE DONCASTER 5096 SK69SE AUSTERFIELD HIGH STREET (east side) 10/4 The Manor House 27th May 1953 - II House of 2 builds. Late C16 and early C17; altered C19. Timber-framed with later brick infill; pantile roof. L-shaped plan with 2-bay lobby-entry hall- block added to 2-bay crosswing. 2 storeys, 2:1 windows to 1st floor. Entrance front: hall block, on left, has added porch flanked by 3-light casement windows on each floor. Cross-wing projecting on right has exposed corner posts and similar casements. Brick ridge stack above porch; cross- wing has hipped roof with brick ridge stack. Rear: hall block has 3 exposed wall posts, those on left with exposed braces to the wallplate. Interior: not inspected. A detailed survey (S. R. Jones) records that the cross-wing is of better quality timberwork and has transverse ceiling joists in the front ground- floor room pegged to a spine bean which also has mortices for a partition wall. The central post of the wing, at junction with the hall-block, has been removed but the weathered wall-plate survives with mortices for light studding thus indicating the separate dates of the 2 structures possibly occupied by separate households of the sane family. Once home of William Bradford who sailed on the Mayflower in 1620; he was made Governor of Plymouth Colony in April 1621, a post which he held (apart from 5 years) until his death in 1657. He wrote the "History of Plymouth Colony" a manuscript found in Fulham Palace Library in 1855 and given to the United States. S. R. Jones, 'The Manor House Austerfield', survey report in South Yorkshire County Monuments and Sites Record, Sheffield, primary index No 1503.

Listing NGR: SK6617494974

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 334702

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing