This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1151640



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.


District: Doncaster

District Type: Metropolitan Authority

Parish: Marr

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 05-Jun-1968

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 334550

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.



5/129 Marr Hall



Manor house. C16 west front, south front altered early C19, C20 renovation. Ashlar limestone, C20 cement-tile eaves courses to pantile roof. L-shaped plan. 2 storeys. West front: 2 bays. Chamfered plinth. Left part of house truncated, C16 single-storey porch leads into lean-to addition on return wall of house. Porch has moulded round arch with decorative moulding stops and impost, flanking pilasters and entablature surmounted by architraved panel bearing arms. Canted, 2-storey bay window immediately to right has 1:2:4:2:1 transomed lights the outermost lights in the face of the main wall. Transomed 5-light mullioned window on right. Continuous dripmould. lst-floor windows under dripmould the same, except outermost lights of bay are blind. South (entrance) front: 4 bays. Door with overlight in open stone porch with part-fluted columns and pediment. Tripartite windows have unequally-hung sashes with glazing bars in renewed stone surrounds with hoodmoulds. Remains of C16 window surrounds visible in walling. Stone inscribed 'ANNO DOM 1664' near eaves. Pebble-dashed addition to right has matching window to each floor. Hipped roof with renewed, corniced wallstone ridge stacks.

Interior: generally altered. Wooden plaque near stairs has scratch-moulded surround to 3 panels with inlaid lozenges with arms and the words 'BLESSED IS GOD IN AL HIS GIFTES AND HOLY IN AL HIS WORKS / ANNO 1582 / LEWYS / RERESBY'. Timbers within rear porch salvaged from roof space include the words 'Peter Thellusson Esq. Landlord... John Snowden Tenant of this Place.... This hall repaired in 1794'. Brick oven in room to right of south front has segmentally-arched, keyed lintel to opening.

Listing NGR: SE5171805274

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SE 51718 05274


© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1151640 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Sep-2018 at 12:22:31.

End of official listing