FRICKLEY HALL

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1151650

Date first listed: 05-Jun-1968

Statutory Address: FRICKLEY HALL

Map

Ordnance survey map of FRICKLEY HALL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1151650 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Nov-2018 at 05:09:31.

Location

Statutory Address: FRICKLEY HALL

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Doncaster (Metropolitan Authority)

Parish: Clayton with Frickley

National Grid Reference: SE 46786 08525

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SE40NE CLAYTON WITH FRICKLEY FRICKLEY PARK

4/46 Frickley Hall

5.6.68

II

Country house. 'Built between 1722 and 1785 for Anthony Wharton of Carhouse, near Doncaster' (previous list description); present structure appears to be an early C19 rebuilding of the C18 house. Deeply-coursed, dressed sandstone; graduated Westmorland slate roof. 2 storeys, 2:3:2 bays with additional bay set back to left and double service wing to rear right, principal entrance on right return. Garden front: symmetrical. Plinth. 3-bay, pedimented projection with French window in architrave, pulvinated frieze and consoled cornice. Ground- floor sill band, 2-pane sashes, bays 6 and 7 having sashes with glazing bars, consoled cornices to bays 2 and 6. 1st-floor band beneath sashes with glazing bars, bays 2, 4 and 6 with shaped sill blocks. Bay set back to left has French window, otherwise as front. Modillioned cornice, keyed oeil-de-boeuf in pediment has radial glazing bars. Hipped roof; 2 multiple-flue stacks in line behind ridge; another smaller stack to left. Rear: twin-gabled service wing clearly shows rebuilding of an earlier range built of local stone. Right return entrance front: 5-bays. Glazed Doric porch-with pediment. Sashes with glazing bars. Service wing set back on right.

Interior: central entrance hall has cantilevered stone staircase with fluted, square balusters; landing archivolts with matching balustrades; rectangular lantern with c6ffered central panel. 6-panel doors with central flute, some have Arts and Crafts copper fingerplates. Library has Delft-tile fireplace with pedimented bookcase over; ceiling frieze of roses and thistles. Wood fireplaces in other rooms, that to dining room with pastoral scene and festoons, that to sitting room with twin Doric columns. 1st floor: interesting Arts and Crafts fireplace in room to far left of garden front has beaten copper surround with Vitruvian scroll beneath ancient ship sailing towards setting sun; overmantel now with plain panel and motto. 'EAST WEST HAME'S BEST'; contemporary wall cupboards and shelving. Early C19 cast-iron fireplaces in some other rooms.

Listing NGR: SE4678608525

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 334467

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing