CHURCH OF ST JOHN

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1151670

Date first listed: 05-Jun-1968

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST JOHN

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST JOHN
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1151670 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 12-Dec-2018 at 19:37:40.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST JOHN

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Doncaster (Metropolitan Authority)

Parish: Adwick upon Dearne

National Grid Reference: SE 47024 01495

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SE40SE ADWICK UPON DEARNE

6/1 Church of St. John 5.6.68

GV II*

Church. C12 with C13 and later windows, vestry added and chancel arch replaced in 1910 by A. C. Martin of London. Pebble-dashed rubble sandstone, Welsh slate roof. Nave with south porch and west bellcote, narrower chancel with north vestry at junction with nave. Nave: gabled porch has slightly pointed arch with impost, weathered stone above; shaped kneelers, renewed gable copings. Tall C12 round- arched doorway within appears altered. Y-tracery, 2-light window to right of porch with offset buttress beyond. Blocked north door now a square-headed, 2-light mullioned window; tall,square-headed,3-light window to its west, and window to its east of 2 cusped, ogee-headed lights. Battered bellcote projection has rectangular, 2-light west window and pair of round-arched bell-openings with impost band set beneath ashlar-coped gable. Shaped kneelers and gable copings to nave roof. Lower chancel has south door with 2-light mullioned window to its left and two C13 lancets to its right. Three early C19 headstones set beneath 2-light, Y-tracery east window. Lancet to east of north vestry which has Y-tracery north window and door in west side.

Interior: double-chamfered chancel arch of 1910 replaced former Norman arch. Square piscina in chamfered, arched recess; aumbry recess. Arch-braced roof trusses. Royal coat of arms above blocked north door. Late C19 fittings including pulpit made from older pews with arms. East window of 1883.

Listing NGR: SE4702401495

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 334422

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing