THURGOLAND WIRE WORKS AT RIVER MILL FARM

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1151801
Date first listed:
23-Apr-1987
Date of most recent amendment:
17-Mar-1989
Statutory Address:
THURGOLAND WIRE WORKS AT RIVER MILL FARM, OLD MILL LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of THURGOLAND WIRE WORKS AT RIVER MILL FARM
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1151801 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Oct-2019 at 15:05:27.

Location

Statutory Address:
THURGOLAND WIRE WORKS AT RIVER MILL FARM, OLD MILL LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Barnsley (Metropolitan Authority)
Parish:
Thurgoland
National Grid Reference:
SK 28477 99815

Details

THURGOLAND

SK 29 NE OLD MILL LANE 4/100 Thurgoland Wire Works at River Mill Farm

(Formerly listed as Thurgoland Wireworks)

23.4.87 II

Former wire works. Probably mid C18, possibly with earlier origins, later additions and alterations. Coursed squared stone and thinly-coursed stone, brick addition; coated stone slate and Welsh slate roofs. Single storey. 4-bay north-south range with short gabled wing projecting from left (south) bay, brick addition (not of special interest) masking 3rd bay, and a 3-bay wing projecting at obtuse angle from right (north) bay. East front: stack at left corner. Left wing has quoins and double door inserted in former window opening. To right of wing, quoined doorway with deep lintel above ground level and now glazed, the upper part with small-pane glazing; to its right a 2-light flat-faced mullion window with extended lintel and cill and some small-pane glazing; to its right a 2-light flat-faced mullion window with extended lintel and cill and some small-pane glazing. 3rd bay has inserted walling and doorway and altered window at upper level. Wing on right has quoins at left angle, an inserted window and a 2-light window as before without mullion, to gable, and a further blind bay with plain gutter brackets in line to right; its left return has, from left, a blocked quoined doorway, a 2-light window on each floor as before with small-pane glazing (lower one without mullion, upper one part-blocked), an inserted doorway below similar window (without mullion); east part of wing roof of Welsh slates; later brick stack at junctions of roof with main range, another in front roof pitch of right bay and to right end of right bay. Left return (south gable): position of farmer water-wheel indicated in stonework, with central rectangular shaft hole; central inserted doorway above, now window, with 12-pane side-sliding sash in apex, the gable being later than wall below and of thinly-covered stone.

Interior: aisle along west side of main range has one post straight-braced to arcade plate (one brace removed); large-scantling platts, purlins and rafters; king-post roof truss at south end. North wing has square stone columns along north side and iron hearth.

A watermill was marked on the site on a map of 1775 (The Environs of Huddersfield, Holmfirth and Penistone), and on others of 1804 and 1815 the building appears, being marked as "The new wire mill" and "New Hill" respectively.

Listing NGR: SK2847799815

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
334123
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 06 Jun 2004
Reference: IOE01/10747/23
Rights: Copyright IoE Mrs Barbara A West. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].