JOWETT SAW MILL

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1151804

Date first listed: 18-Mar-1968

Statutory Address: JOWETT SAW MILL, BARK HOUSE LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of JOWETT SAW MILL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1151804 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Dec-2018 at 19:33:29.

Location

Statutory Address: JOWETT SAW MILL, BARK HOUSE LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Barnsley (Metropolitan Authority)

Parish: Cawthorne

National Grid Reference: SE 27302 07833

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SE 20 SE CAWTHORNE BARK HOUSE LANE (West side)

3/2 Jowett Saw Mill

18.3.68

II

House, formerly corn mill and later a saw mill. Early to mid C19, the wheel installed in 1854, the main part of the building being added in 1858. C20 restoration. Coursed squared stone, pitch-faced to 1858 range which is rendered at rear and has a brick rear wing. Stone slate roof. Two-storey early block, the rest single storey with attic and dormers. L-shaped 1858 range with the early block breaking forward at the right end. The early block: the front has 2 bays of 2-light gothic arched windows. Ornamental ashlar stack to right end. Round-arched opening at rear into wheel house. Left gable has a large, low-level doorway with lintel supported on corbels, with a first floor doorway above.

The 1858 range in Tudor style has rock-faced quoins to corners, bay divisions and window and door openings. The main range is of 6 bays, numbers 3 and 5 being plain. Nos 2, 4 and 6 are set back slightly. 2-light windows with round-arched lights to bays 1 and 4. Round-arched door openings to bays 2 and 6, the former now glazed. Excellent square, twisted stacks, with tripled flues to left, and a single flue to centre. Left return gable has 2 bays of 2-light windows, as front, and a tablet reading in raised letters:

"AD MDCCCLVI"

The rear is in a different style with 3 large round-arched openings (now part blocked) above each of which is a later dormer. The similarly treated wing (without dormers) projects at left side.

Interior of early block: Inside the left end of the building is the wheel house with a breast shot wheel approximately 4 metres in diameter and 2 metres wide with cast-iron sides and wooden paddles.

Listing NGR: SE2730207833

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 334128

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing