This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

THE WARREN

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: THE WARREN

List entry Number: 1151890

Location

THE WARREN, MAIN STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: Rotherham

District Type: Metropolitan Authority

Parish: Bramley

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 04-Jan-1974

Date of most recent amendment: 01-Apr-1987

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 335906

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

BRAMLEY MAIN STREET SK49SE (west side) 2/31 The Warren 4.1.74 (formerly listed as Methodist Chapel) GV II Chapel now house. 1785 for M. Waterhouse, converted c1975. Coursed, horizontally-tooled sandstone, slate roof. L-shaped plan with cross-wing projecting to rear-left of 2 x 3 bay chapel; now all 2 storeys. Chapel has wallstone plinth and C20 panelled door in C19 corniced stone porch with frieze inscribed: 'WESLEYAN METHODIST CHAPEL / BUILT BY M. WATERHOUSE ESQ 1785 / JOHN WESLEY PREACHED HERE JULY 1st 1786 / PRESENTED TO CONFERENCE 1802. Oculus above. Tall flanking windows now blind except far fanlights beneath round arches with keystones; hipped roof with truncated ridge stack. Wing set back an left has door to right of recessed panel with centre- pivotted casement to each floor; gable copings and truncated end stack on left. Left return of chapel: each bay has original tall window opening altered to house C20 casement on each floor with wallstone panel between. Interior not of special interest.



Listing NGR: SK4880492441

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SK 48795 92406

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1151890 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Sep-2018 at 01:51:06.

End of official listing