THE OLD HALL

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1151936

Date first listed: 02-Oct-1951

Statutory Address: THE OLD HALL, BAWBURGH ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of THE OLD HALL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1151936 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 14-Nov-2018 at 11:24:18.

Location

Statutory Address: THE OLD HALL, BAWBURGH ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Norfolk

District: South Norfolk (District Authority)

Parish: Marlingford and Colton

National Grid Reference: TG 13263 09178

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TG 10 NW MARLINGFORD BAWBURGH ROAD (north-side)

4/45 The Old Hall,

2.10.51 II*

Originally a Lobby-Entrance type farmhouse dated 1608 on re-positioned facade datestone formerly on north gable-end. Facade and extensions added in 1679 as advertised on"facade tie-ends'." Brick and'some'flint with pan- tiled roofs. 2 storeys with attics and cellars. East facade of 9 bays. 7 blind windows. Mullion and transom frames with metal casements some beneath skewback arches with cambered soffits. Front door with later porch opposite off-centre axial stack. One gabled dormer and a gable-end stack. One surviving wooden ovolo-moulded mullion window on north gable-end. Crow-stepped gables. Varied extensions to rear with 2 fragmentary ovolo- moulded mullion and transom attic windows. Symmetrical south facade (1679) of 5 bays with 2 crow-stepped attic gables. Skewback arches (rusticated at first floor centre) with mullion and transom window frames. 5 blind windows. C18 raised and fielded panelled front door with a Doric doorcase. 2 plat-bands. Very fine staircase probably of 1679 with turned balusters of attenuated-vase form and large panelled newels with pendants. Several C18 panelled rooms with moulded cornices and dado rails and raised and fielded panels. 3 overmantels with contemporary painted landscapes and a fine coved recess flanked by fluted pilasters. Original roofs.

Listing NGR: TG1326309178

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 226518

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing