This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

THE STABLES, WOLTERTON HALL

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: THE STABLES, WOLTERTON HALL

List entry Number: 1152001

Location

THE STABLES, WOLTERTON HALL

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Norfolk

District: North Norfolk

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Wickmere

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 24-Apr-1987

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 224528

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TG 13 SE 5/81

WICKMERE WOLTERTON The Stables, Wolterton Hall

II*

Stables. Circa 1750 by Thomas Ripley for Horatio Walpole. Brick with stone dressings; Belgian tile roof. Rectangular on plan with central courtyard. North front has central stone archway with two blind stone arches to each side; moulded brick dentil eaves cornice; one attic sash with glazing bars under pedimented gable to each side. Octagonal wooden clock tower on ridge. Flanking this centre range are two slightly projecting 2-storey and attic 3 bay wings of the same height having sash windows; stone sills. Central 4-panel door to each, top 2 panels glazed. The courtyard has to the west a single storey range with casements; some openings altered with large C20 doors. To the east a wall. The south range is single storey with sashes, central doorway having fanlight with radiating glazing bars with doorway to hayloft over which cuts through eaves. 4 attic sashes with pedimented gables. Interior: The west part of the south range has circa late C19 or early C20 stalls. The north-east corner range has a butt-purlin roof with curved braces for a coved plaster ceiling and a rounded south-west corner, possibly for a stair. Source: Country Life, 18 July 1957



Listing NGR: TG1632231836

Selected Sources

Books and journals
'Country Life' in 18 July, (1957)
Other
Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England, Part 29 Norfolk,

National Grid Reference: TG 16394 31784

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1152001 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Sep-2018 at 03:51:57.

End of official listing