This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

GROUP OF SEVEN MONUMENTS MOSTLY TO HOWSE AND WISE, ABOUT 1 TO 7 METRES SOUTH OF SOUTH EAST NAVE WINDOW IN CHURCHYARD OF CHURCH OF ST MARY

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: GROUP OF SEVEN MONUMENTS MOSTLY TO HOWSE AND WISE, ABOUT 1 TO 7 METRES SOUTH OF SOUTH EAST NAVE WINDOW IN CHURCHYARD OF CHURCH OF ST MARY

List entry Number: 1152005

Location

GROUP OF SEVEN MONUMENTS MOSTLY TO HOWSE AND WISE, ABOUT 1 TO 7 METRES SOUTH OF SOUTH EAST NAVE WINDOW IN CHURCHYARD OF CHURCH OF ST MARY, A417

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Gloucestershire

District: Cotswold

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Ampney St. Mary

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 17-Jun-1986

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 129799

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SP 00 SE AMPNEY ST. MARY A417 (off south side)

5/58 Group of seven Monuments mostly to Howse and Wise, about 1-7m south of south-east nave window in church- yard of Church of St. Mary

GV II

Group of 7 chest tombs, including head and footstones attached to unidentified pair of monuments. Nearest porch from south to north: Howse family, earliest decipherable inscription 1784; Richard Howse, died 1767; Howse family, earliest decipherable 1731; unidentified, probably Howse family, 1763. Further from porch from south to north: Wise family, earliest decipherable inscription, 1780; unidentified pair, probably Wise family, early C18. All limestone. All with moulded plinth and capping except for unidentified pair. Three Howse monuments have single step tent top and 2 have lyre ends with side panels divided into 2. All have fielded panels, and all beginning to break up at time of survey (August 1985). Wise monument has stepped tent top with rounded top moulding, fielded south panel and rest recessed. Unidentified pair are set immediately adjoining and have slab top and sides, with plain footstones and carved headstones with cherub head and cartouche for inscription on west side.



Listing NGR: SP0756501534

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SP 07565 01532

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1152005 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Sep-2018 at 07:51:57.

End of official listing