OLD HALL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1152045
Date first listed:
04-Dec-1951
Statutory Address:
OLD HALL, DEREHAM ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of OLD HALL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1152045 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Jul-2019 at 08:16:24.

Location

Statutory Address:
OLD HALL, DEREHAM ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Norfolk
District:
Breckland (District Authority)
Parish:
Whinburgh and Westfield
National Grid Reference:
TG 01508 07909

Details

WHINBURGH DEREHAM ROAD TG 00 NW (east side) 6/99 4.12.51 Old Hall - II*

Former farmhouse. Circa 1600 and later. Brick ground floor (re-faced with brick in C19) with timber framed upper floor. Through-passage plan. 2 storeys with attic. Off-centre C17 gabled porch with a pedimented arched entrance and blocked window above. Very fine fielded board door with studs and loop handle. 4-centred arched frame with carved spandrels. 3 ground floor windows, the central one formerly of 5 lights with roll- moulded and hollow chamfered mullions and transom. (2 mullions have been removed in order to insert casements). Similar north window of 2 lights without a transom. South window, a 3-light, ovolo-moulded, Victorian imitation. 3 imitative late C20 3-light casement windows to first floor. Roll-moulded bressumer. Some original brickwork visible on south gable- end. Stepped gables with late C20 cast cement crow steps. Rear door with cover strips and studs and moulded frame. Off-centre axial stack with 4 octagonal shafts. Later north gable-end stack with a single C19 octagonal shaft. Later additions to side and rear. Interior. Hall with deep mouldings to bridging joist, common joists and cornice. Original fireplace to first floor with a 4-centred arch and incised stucco decoration. Reduced to take a fine late C18 duck's nest grate. Several original doorways with 4-centred arches - their spandrels emphasised by inverted fielding. 2 principal first floor rooms were originally open to an exceptional crown post roof of 7 bays, the short crown posts rising from cambered collars. Solid arch braces to collar purlin only and a set of butt-purlins. Solar originally to northern end only. Moated site.

Listing NGR: TG0150807909

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
220891
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email Enrichi[email protected].