CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1152173
Date first listed:
08-Jul-1959
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, CHURCH ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1152173 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Oct-2019 at 19:58:58.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, CHURCH ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Norfolk
District:
King's Lynn and West Norfolk (District Authority)
Parish:
Shouldham
National Grid Reference:
TF 68127 08903

Details

TF 60 NE SHOULDHAM CHURCH ROAD

5/33 Church of All Saints 8.7.59 G.V. I

Parish church. C14, C15, nave restored 1870, chancel rebuilt 1871 by R.J. Withers. Carstone and flint with ashlar dressings. Slate roofs. West tower, nave, south transeptal chapel and chancel. 3 stage C14 tower with angle buttresses to second stage, the stages outwardly undifferentiated. Wave moulded west door below 2-light reticulated window with ogee cusped lights. Square lancet lights to ringing chamber. 2-light Y belfry windows with hood continuing as string course round tower. Carstone and brick crenellated parapet. Stair turret to south-east corner. Substantially rebuilt gabled south porch with 2-light square-headed side windows. 2 3-light C15 nave windows to south and north under depressed arches : ogee lights with rising supermullions linked by transom. Square chapel under catslide roof with diagonal buttresses has late C14 2-light Perpendicular south window under square head. East chapel window of c.1340-50 : 2 lights beneath square hood, each light trefoiled with the centre cusp split back to arch. Circular punched roundel in spandrel between arches. Chancel of 1871. One 3-light intersecting window and one 2-light Y traceried window separated by buttress. Eastern angle buttresses and 3-light window of exuberant flowing form. Vestry abuts north chancel with angle buttresses, 2-light cusped windows, arched door and lean-to roof. Chimney stack built into and flush with chancel wall. Blocked north doorway. Interior. Double chamfered tower arch. C15 hammerbeam roof of 5 trusses with shallow arched braces dropping to hammerposts carved in representation of angels. Further arched braces to wall posts on C19 restored corbels. Alternate principals supported on short wall posts only. Prominent ashlaring above coved wall plate with decorated cornice. Collars to hammerbeam trusses and one tier moulded butt purlins with bosses at inter- sections with principals. 3 C15 benches in nave, the ends carved with tracery patterns below poppy heads. 5 similar bench ends applied to C19 benches. Plain octagonal C14 font. Undercut and wave moulded arched tomb recess of c.1330 cut into north nave wall. South chapel roof C15 : moulded principals drop to wall posts through arched braces. Heavy moulded wall plate, one tier moulded butt purlins with bosses at intersection with principals.

Listing NGR: TF6812708903

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
221507
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 18 Sep 1999
Reference: IOE01/01829/01
Rights: Copyright IoE Graham Brown. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].