THE PARADE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1152194
Date first listed:
28-Nov-1950
Date of most recent amendment:
04-Oct-1973
Statutory Address:
THE PARADE, 72, CHEAP STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of THE PARADE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1152194 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Jul-2019 at 08:13:38.

Location

Statutory Address:
THE PARADE, 72, CHEAP STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Dorset
District:
West Dorset (District Authority)
Parish:
Sherborne
National Grid Reference:
ST 63860 16578

Details

CHEAP STREET 1. 1625 (South West Side) No 72 (The Parade) (Formerly listed as Premises occupied by ST 6316 1/212 International Stores) 28.11.50. II* GV 2. Probably the original building of the Sherborne Bank for Saving which was established in 1818. 2 storey stucco front. Upper storey is bowed and supported on four Ionic columns. 1st floor has Venetian window with dividing Tuscan pilasters having incised line ornament. Cast iron balcony to this windows is elliptical on plan. Quoin pilasters with incised line ornament. Cornice. Parapet has balustraded panel in centre. Rounded slate roof. Poor modern plate-glass shop front behind portico. On lst floor is a long and very fine room. It has bowed end, coved ceiling and plasterwork treatment of Ionic columns. Until recently used as a store. (See 'Exploring Sherborne' by G H D Pitman).

Nos 54 and 56, Gate, lamp and overthrow between Nos 54 and 56, The Methodist Church and Nos 58 to 82 (even) form a group.

Listing NGR: ST6385816574

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
103921
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pitman, G H D , Exploring Sherborne

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 15 Aug 2000
Reference: IOE01/02303/02
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Brian Haigh. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].