PARISH CHURCH

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1152216

Date first listed: 26-Jun-1952

Date of most recent amendment: 21-Mar-1983

Statutory Address: PARISH CHURCH, CHURCH HILL

Map

Ordnance survey map of PARISH CHURCH
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1152216 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Dec-2018 at 21:10:06.

Location

Statutory Address: PARISH CHURCH, CHURCH HILL

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Dorset

District: Purbeck (District Authority)

Parish: Swanage

National Grid Reference: SZ 02723 78776

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

CHURCH HILL 1. 5190 Parish Church of St Mary the Virgin SZ 0278 NE 5/35 26.6.52 (formerly listed as Church of St Mary) II GV

2. The tower is medieval. The rest of the Church was rebuilt by T H Wyatt in 1859-60 and enlarged in 1906-8 by Clifton and Robinson (Pevsner). Purbeck Stone walls and roofs. In plan, the Church has nave, north aisle of 2 bays, transepts, chancel, organ chamber at east end of north aisle, south porch and west tower. There are galleries in the transepts. The 3 lower stages of the tower are of the C14, and the top stage c 1620. It is a plain structure, unbuttressed with small plain windows and a parapet without battlements. The roof is lead covered. The body of the Church is in a Gothic Revival style. The nave and aisle have separate gabled roofs, with a central valley gutter. The main entrance is at the west end of the aisle and has a shallow portico with a doorway in Early English style. Above this is a large window with Perpendicular tracery. The nave and aisle window are of similar design. There are rose windows in the organ chamber and transept sables. An octagonal turret with stone spire adjoins the north transept. Internally, the walls are plastered. The roofs are of pine, of arch-braced collar-beam design. A number of C18 wall monument survive from the earlier Church. C19 marble font. The churchyard is below the level of the adjoining ground to the south. Purbeck Stone retaining wall to boundary, with iron railings and gates. RCHM Monument 1.

Listing NGR: SZ0272378776

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 108161

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Inventory of Dorset, (1970)
Pevsner, N, Newman, J, The Buildings of England: Dorset, (1972)

End of official listing