THE GREEN

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1152275
Date first listed:
28-Nov-1950
Date of most recent amendment:
04-Oct-1973
Statutory Address:
THE GREEN, THE GREEN

Map

Ordnance survey map of THE GREEN
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1152275.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Dec-2019 at 08:12:45.

Location

Statutory Address:
THE GREEN, THE GREEN

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Dorset
District:
West Dorset (District Authority)
Parish:
Sherborne
National Grid Reference:
ST 63711 16912

Details

THE GREEN 1. 1625 (North Side) The Green (Formerly listed under Greenhill) ST 6316 1/114 28.11.50. II GV 2. Formerly The Angel Inn. The building partly closes the vista at the top of Greenhill. Since 1865 a "House" belonging to Sherborne School. It consists of attached buildings of various dates, but the only part of architectural interest is the front facing west. This appears to be C18 with alterations. It is a 5 window stucco front. 2 storeys basement and attics. Slate roof with gable-ends and stone parapet coping, 2 dormers. Projecting Tuscan porch with flight of entrance steps. Round-headed doorway with fanlight; the inscription "Licensed to let post horses" written in frieze of entablature. The upper storey of the porch is a square bay having sash windows with moulded pilaster strips between them. Blind boxes to windows, cornice to head of bay. Other windows are C18 sashes, those to ls.L floor having shutters. At left hand side of ground floor there is a splayed bay with dentil cornice.

The listed buildings on the North Side of The Green (with The Cottage adjoining The Green) form a group.

Listing NGR: ST6371416864

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
103956
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 25 Nov 2002
Reference: IOE01/09545/32
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Brian Kingsland. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].