CONGREGATIONAL CHAPEL

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1152276

Date first listed: 24-Aug-1990

Statutory Address: CONGREGATIONAL CHAPEL, GLOUCESTER STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CONGREGATIONAL CHAPEL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1152276 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Nov-2018 at 11:30:10.

Location

Statutory Address: CONGREGATIONAL CHAPEL, GLOUCESTER STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Gloucestershire

District: Stroud (District Authority)

Parish: Painswick

National Grid Reference: SO 86731 09930

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

PAINSWICK GLOUCESTER STREET SO 8609/8709 (east side) 7/94 Congregational Chapel GV II congregational chapel, now United Reform Church. Built 1803 but substantially altered 1892, architect J F Trew, porch added, as Cornelius Winter memorial. Limestone ashlar, Welsh slate hipped roof concealed by parapets. Large square block in 2 storeys set up and back from street, but later porch brought forward to pavement with stone stair and concrete ramp approaches. Main front has 3 arched casements with radial bars, set to deep keystones and in raised panels with imposts; central window flanked by rusticated pilasters; at ground floor each side of porch one and 2-light casements to heavy square lintels and pilasters. Central flat-roofed heavy porch with plate glass triple sash to road over carved memorial stone. Right return has C20 door under large plain light at head of stone stairs with spear-head railings, and left return a pair of 3-panel doors under large 2-pane transom light. Parapet to main block returns to sides; front includes open balustrades over outer windows, sunk panel with small pediment to centre. Left side has wide arched 3-light window centre, and 2-light casement with transom at ground floor. Interior: coved ceiling with 3 decorative ventilation roses, 1892 balcony on twisted cast iron columns and a bow front. Morris and Co stained glass to east end; various wall tablets from 1782 onwards. Attached pastor's room has C19 fire surround and overmantel. The Rev Cornelius Winter was the pastor in 1803. (Stell, C., Chapels and Meetinq Houses, Central Enqland, 1986).

Listing NGR: SO8673109930

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 133272

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
An Inventory of Nonconformist Chapels and Meeting Houses in Central England, (1986)

End of official listing