THE PRIORY HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1152311
Date first listed:
28-Nov-1950
Statutory Address:
THE PRIORY HOUSE, GREENHILL

Map

Ordnance survey map of THE PRIORY HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1152311 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Jul-2019 at 10:26:26.

Location

Statutory Address:
THE PRIORY HOUSE, GREENHILL

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Dorset
District:
West Dorset (District Authority)
Parish:
Sherborne
National Grid Reference:
ST 63710 16946

Details

GREENHILL 1. 1625 (North Side) The Priory House ST 6316 1/105 28.11.50. II GV 2. Long 2 storey 3 window stone front. A house of late C16 or early C17 origin, which has been much embellished in early to mid C19. Slate roof, 2 dormers. Castellated parapet with angle finials. Painted lead rainwater heads with fleur-de-lys and other ornaments. 4-light mullioned windows with label- moulds to lst floor. 5-light below. All windows have diagonal wood glazing bars. Doorway, under wide 4-centred arched opening, is certainly one of the C19 features. Flanking the door itself are four diagonally-set pilas- ters enriched with recessed panel design. These support a castellated parapet. Doorway has 4-centred head, glazed upper panels and diagonal mouldings to lower panels. Interior has C17 fireplace, overmantel and moulded panelling.

All the listed buildings on the North Side of Greenhill from Newell Cottage to Belmont: and on the South Side from Delta to premises occupied by Godden and Curtis form a group.

Listing NGR: ST6371016946

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
103967
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 12 Aug 2000
Reference: IOE01/02304/16
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Brian Haigh. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].