CHURCH OF ST JOSEPH

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1152329

Date first listed: 30-Sep-1987

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST JOSEPH, CROMER ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST JOSEPH
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1152329 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Nov-2018 at 18:53:44.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST JOSEPH, CROMER ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Norfolk

District: North Norfolk (District Authority)

Parish: Sheringham

National Grid Reference: TG 15942 42910

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TG 14 SE SHERINGHAM CROMER ROAD

5/110 Church of St.Joseph

II

Roman Catholic parish church, 1910, completed 1936, by Giles Gilbert Scott. Red brick, plain tile roof hidden by high parapets. Ritual east to north. Tall nave and chancel in one, low ambulatory aisles to ritual north and south, organ bay and chapel to ritual north, porch lobby to ritual west; chapel to east. Brick bond of 5-6 courses of stretchers between 2 courses of headers; 3-stepped plinth, lowest step with stone cap, second and third steps with single and double plinth bricks; shallow pitched roof behind gable parapets with stone crosses. High circular ritual east window having stone tracery of a cinquefoil surrounded by 6-mouchettes, 2 stone shields below inscribed ihs and xpi; low 2 bay chapel of St. Joseph to left. Ritual north facade: 3 large square headed windows with stone tracery, 2-lights with bold curvilinear tracery above, brick surrounds with random stone; brick pilaster strips at angles and between second and third window marking junction of 1910 work to left and 1936 completion to right; low organ bay to left with steep pitched roof and gable bellcote, 2 small windows with stone surrounds and scalloped stone lintels; small chapel to centre, until 1936 the entrance porch, with two 3-light windows as to organ bay. Low lobby porch to ritual west, the width of the nave, having embattled parapet, stone mullioned lights as to organ bay grouped 1:4:1; entrance to left return with hollow chamfered stone arch above double chamfered brick jambs; tall 2-light west window with traceried equilateral arch. Ritual south facade with 3 windows as to ritual north, chapel of St.Joseph to right. Interior: low arcades to ritual north and south each of 5 bays with equilateral arches separated by oval piers, arches grouped 3 and 2 from ritual east with wide oval piers between bays 3 and 4 each pierced by small semi-circular headed arch. Painted and boarded king post roof; white marble altar resting on octagonal hollow faced columns, white marble altar rails; floor of oak and Welsh slate; seven sacrament font to right of altar, a copy of C15 font at Church of St. Mary Little Walsingham, Norfolk, but without base steps; suspended roof and stations of the cross, 1914, from Austria by Tosci; stone altar in chapel to ritual north showing Annunciation, possibly by Eric Gill. Chapel of St. Joseph attached to ritual south of chancel separated internally by glass screen: 1908, possibly by Giles Gilbert Scott, aligned east-west. Brick work as main church. 2 windows north and south of 2 wide traceried lights under pointed segmental head, rounded stone jambs; each window to north flanked by thin brick buttresses rising from stone plinth cap, each having band, string course and cap of stone; interior: plain barrel ceiling. Attached presbytery to east.

Listing NGR: TG1594242910

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 224645

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing