Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1152357.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 28-Feb-2021 at 01:51:15.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

North Norfolk (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
TG 30860 22713


TUNSTEAD CHURCH LANE TG 32 SW 8/34 Church of St.Mary 16:4:55 - I

Parish church. C14 and later. Flint and stone; lead and copper roofs. West tower, nave, south porch, north and south aisle, chancel. Embattled C14 4- stage tower; stone frieze with curved, cusped relief to plinth; west door with continuous moulding, grape vine trail to hood-mould; 3 light west window with panel tracery; single light cusped openings to ringing chambers; 2 light bell-openings with panel tracery; gargoyles at corners. Buttressed nave of 5 bays with angle buttresses; C14 3-light north and south aisle windows with mouchettes; north aisle door to first bay with continuous moulding; hood mould and stops with rosettes. External rood stair in angle between chancel and north aisle of brick and flint with quatrefoil light; copper roofs to aisles; blind clerestorey of intersecting cusped arcade in flushwork to south; blind cusped arcade to north. Chancel of 3 bays, band at sill level; doorway in centre south bay under window; Perpendicular windows of 3 lights with panel tracery. North-east chancel window blocked. C19 east window of 3 lights. Porch of 1864 to first south aisle bay. Door to nave has exuberant medieval iron work door-ring with trail and trefoil leaves. Interior. North and south arcades of clustered shafts, fillets in the diagonals, figure stops to hood moulds; brackets in the spandrels of south arcade with heads to-base, to north crenellated brackets with niches above revealed in restoration of 1950's. Arch-braced roof with simple ashlaring, 2 tie beams of 1683 with traces of paint. Stone benches to aisle walls. Cusped piscinae to north and south aisles. Aisle roofs with roll-moulding, restored. Tower arch with clustered shafts, castellated abaci. Chancel arch with clustered shafts. Piscina and 3-bay sedilia with cusped ogee arches and ribbed vault. Raised platform at east end reached by steps to north, doorway to south leads to tunnel vaulted chamber beneath, lit by opening behind altar; remains of niches with paint to west face, perhaps of reredos. Niches with remains of vaulting to either side of east window, some paint. Arch-braced roof with tracery in the spandrels. Remains of poppy-head to bench in chancel. C15 rood screen with painted figures to lower panels, platform to top. Rood beam, not in original position.

Listing NGR: TG3086022713


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 02 Oct 2001
Reference: IOE01/05266/14
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr David N. Gifford. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].