Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1152366

Date first listed: 08-Jun-1983



Ordnance survey map of THE GUILD HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1152366 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Jan-2019 at 17:14:32.



The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Gloucestershire

District: Cotswold (District Authority)

Parish: Chipping Campden

National Grid Reference: SP 14920 38891


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


In the entry for:-

SP 14 39 CHIPPING CAMPDEN SHEEP STREET (West side) 7/212 The Guild House

the description shall be amended to read:

Former miller's house. Probably early C18, but said to have earlier origins. Coursed limestone rubble with ashlar quoins and dressings; hipped and half-hipped stone slate roof with stack to rear right. 2 storeys with attic and basement; 2-window front. Flight of steps to off-centre right-hand entrance, with part-glazed C19 door in wooden frame under stone hood with carved brackets. 2/2-pane horned sashes throughout in tooled surrounds with keystones. First-floor band continues around house. Right return has plank door with chamfered jambs and lintel, and 2-light chamfered stone-mullioned window with metal multi-pane fixed light. Hipped dormers. Phoenix fire insurance mark to front and District fire insurance to rear. Interior: boxed beams and ground-floor window shutters. Part of C18 dentil cornice and panelled cupboards flanking fireplace in right-hand front'room; open staircase to left, and C18 roof structure with roughly chamfered purlins. Historical note: this building was part of the premises occupied by the Guild of Craftsmen - see The Old Silk Mill (qv).

------------------------------------ 1. 5224 SHEEP STREET (west side)

The Guild House SP 1439 7/212


2. Early C18 altered. Two storeys, basement and attic. Rubble with band over ground floor and hipped Cotswold stone roof. Hipped casement dormer. Two windows with beaded surrounds, keys and bull-nose cills, cross-glazed sashes. Restored stone brackets to hood over half-glazed door. Steps up to doorway. One window to south return. Basement to south has a chamfered doorway and a mullion window. Fire Insurance Mark. Probably built circa 1710 with the Silk Mill (qv). Taken over by the Guild of Craftsmen under C R Ashbee when they moved from East London in 1901.

Listing NGR: SP1492038891


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 126268

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing