CHURCH OF ST MARY

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1152375

Date first listed: 25-Sep-1962

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST MARY, STOKESBY ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1152375 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Nov-2018 at 11:20:26.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST MARY, STOKESBY ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Norfolk

District: Great Yarmouth (District Authority)

Parish: Mautby

National Grid Reference: TG 46053 12393

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

MAUTBY STOKESBY ROAD TG 41 SE (east side) Thrigby 2/48 Church of St. Mary 25.9.62 - II*

Parish church. Basically first half C14. Restored 1896. Flint with ashlar dressings and brick repairs. Plain tiles to nave and slate to chancel. 3 stage tower with diagonal stepped west buttresses. 2-light Decorated west window. No ringing chamber windows. Belfry set back behind string course. 2-light ogeed belfry windows with mouchette heads under square-headed hood. Flushwork crenellated parapet. Stepped diagonal western buttresses to nave. Gabled south porch with moulded arch. 2-light side windows. 2 timber nave windows to north and south of 1896. To west of arched north door a restored 2-light Decorated window. Windows separated by stepped buttresses. 2 2-light C19 chancel windows to south and one to north. Also to north chancel a double chamfered brick priests' doorway of late C14 date. Restored 3-light chancel east window : ogeed central light, cusped side lights; 3 squashed vesicas with quatrefoils. Wave moulded inner south doorway with one order of shafts with seaweed capitals. Wave moulded hood mould studded with fleurons on head stops. Interior. 4-centred tower arch on head corbels. Blocked segmental-headed window west of south door. C19 scissor braced nave roof. C19 chancel arch with blocked rood stairs. 2 consecration crosses in chancel. Arched C19 chancel roof. Bench sedilia and cusped piscina. Octagonal font : recut stem with trefoiled lights and quatrefoils in bowl panels.

Listing NGR: TG4605312393

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 227783

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing