SPRING HILL HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1152405

Date first listed: 08-Jun-1983

Statutory Address: SPRING HILL HOUSE

Map

Ordnance survey map of SPRING HILL HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1152405 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Nov-2018 at 17:10:54.

Location

Statutory Address: SPRING HILL HOUSE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Gloucestershire

District: Cotswold (District Authority)

Parish: Chipping Campden

National Grid Reference: SP1272733982

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

1. 5224 SPRING HILL

Spring Hill House SP 13 SW 5/239

II

GV 2. Circa 1757 for John Bulkeley-Coventry-Bulkeley; 1763 Capability Brown employed (for park presumably, although the house has been attributed to him by Dorothy Stroud) Bought 1830 by General Lygon who added wings and porch and laid out estate to resemble the field of Waterloo. Remodelled late C19 in "Wren-naissance" style. Now a large courtyard plan country house with domestic range to east and stable range to west linked across north side by a coach house with cupola. The front terrace is an enormous rockery-cum-grotto (qv). Garden front: Symmetrical 2 storey composition on a terrace. Ashlar with hipped slate roofs (stone tile to rear and courtyard wings). Central 5 bay section with central pedimented break over half oval portico and 2 bay set backs to sides with pedimented end bays in slight breaks. Band over ground floor. Sash windows with keystones and shutters; glazing bars to first floor only. Tripartite central first floor window with bracket cornice. Tuscan portico, with balustraded parapet, half-glazed doors and sidelights. Projecting single storey bays in angles of see back wings, also with balustraded parapets. Side wings have mullion and transom windows, 3 light to end bays and projecting bays. North front: 1½ storeys rubble, balanced composition with central coach house with cupola, and stables to left and domestic quarters to right. Three bay taller central pavilion with 3 large archways, centre to courtyard, flanking coach houses; central gabled half-dormer; modillion eaves cornice; hipped roof. Left part has wooden mullion windows and leaded glazing; right part has glazing bar sashes. East (stable) return has wood mullion windows and retains loose boxes. West (domestic) return has ½ dormers and evidence of earlier C18 structure (probably a farmhouse converted to present use when big house constructed and remodelled again in late C19). Sources: P Miller "Chipping Campden". D Stroud "Capability Brown" (she attributes the house to Brown, for Lord Coventry).



Listing NGR: SP1272733982

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 126273

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Miller, P, Chipping Campden
Stroud, D, Capability Brown, (1975)
Other
Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England, Part 16 Gloucestershire,

End of official listing