GROUP OF 5 MONUMENTS IN THE CHURCHYARD OF THE CHURCH OF THE HOLY TRINITY, CIRCA 6 TO 14 METRES SOUTH SOUTH WEST OF THE VESTRY

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1152426
Date first listed:
22-Oct-1987
Statutory Address:
GROUP OF 5 MONUMENTS IN THE CHURCHYARD OF THE CHURCH OF THE HOLY TRINITY, CIRCA 6 TO 14 METRES SOUTH SOUTH WEST OF THE VESTRY

Map

Ordnance survey map of GROUP OF 5 MONUMENTS IN THE CHURCHYARD OF THE CHURCH OF THE HOLY TRINITY, CIRCA 6 TO 14 METRES SOUTH SOUTH WEST OF THE VESTRY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1152426 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Oct-2019 at 03:36:51.

Location

Statutory Address:
GROUP OF 5 MONUMENTS IN THE CHURCHYARD OF THE CHURCH OF THE HOLY TRINITY, CIRCA 6 TO 14 METRES SOUTH SOUTH WEST OF THE VESTRY

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Gloucestershire
District:
Tewkesbury (District Authority)
Parish:
Badgeworth
National Grid Reference:
SO 90144 19213

Details

BADGEWORTH BADGEWORTH VILLAGE SO 91 NW

4/11 Group of 5 monuments in the church- yard of the Church of the Holy Trinity, c6-14m south-south-west of the vestry

GV II

Three chest tombs and'2 pedestal tombs. a) Giles Weblie chest tomb c6m south of the access to the vestry basement. Limestone. Inscription to Giles Weblie on the north side; string and frieze decorated with sunken diamond shapes continued around the tomb. Inscription on. the south side. 'BUT FROM THIS EARTH / WHICH IS BUT DUST / THE LORD WILL RAISE / ...'. Capping cO.2m in depth with a moulded margin. b) Chest tomb c2m south of the Giles Weblie monument to members of the Bubb family. Limestone. Inscription to Thomas Bubb, son of Henry Bubb of Bentham died 1761 on the north side with a raised segmental shouldered margin with outer band decorated with bound oak leaf and flowers; ribbon ties in the corners. Oval inscription panel with an inscription to John Bubb, died 1775 and William Bubb, died 1770; ribbon ties at the corners. Pairs of cherubs' heads with crowned sunburst above and crossed palm fronds below at the west end. Weeping putto, skull and cross bones and winter tree at the east end. c) Chest-tomb c3m north of the Thomas Bubb monument. Limestone. Inscription to John Bubb of Little Witcombe, died 1625 and Elizabeth his wife, died 1626 on the south side. Inscription to John Bubb of Little Witcomb and Joan his wife, died 1687 on the north side. Deep capping stone with flat-chamfered margin. d) Greek Revival pedestal tomb c3m north of the preceding. To members of the Bubb family. Limestone and sandstone with an iron railing. Earliest inscription dated 1790. Inscription to William Bubb of Clarence Cottage, Barnwood, late of Witcombe Farm, died 1868, (q.v. Great Witcombe C.P.) on the north side. simple oval inscription panels on the north and south sides draped with foliate fronds. Painted margins to the inscriptions on the east and west side. Sandstone capping formerly with bosses on the upper surface at each corner. Moulded pyramidal capping with a large reeded urn. Spear- headed railing. e) Circular pedestal tomb to members of the Bubb family. Painted limestone or possibly Coade stone. Three oval inscription panels; three rams' heads between the inscription panels linked by hanging drapery; three triangles in relief towards the base. Inscription to Mary Bubb, wife of Henry Bubb of Bentham, died 1796, and others. Moulded base with beaded mouldings. Fluted conical moulded capping with pineapple finial.

Listing NGR: SO9014419213

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
134963
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 11 Sep 1999
Reference: IOE01/00440/08
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Keith Cooper. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].