CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1152481

Date first listed: 04-Oct-1960

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, THE STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1152481 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Oct-2018 at 01:01:37.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, THE STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Norfolk

District: North Norfolk (District Authority)

Parish: Weybourne

National Grid Reference: TG 11170 43032

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TG 14 SW WEYBOURNE THE STREET

4/127 Church of All Saints

4.10.60 II*

Parish church attached to ruins of former Augustinian Priory (q.v. 4/128), C13 and C14, flint with some erratics, stone dressings, plain tiles. C14 west tower, nave, chancel, south porch; north aisle rebuilt 1866 on foundations of Cll nave, north vestry of 1866, remains of Cll central tower to east of present north aisle and north of present chancel included in item 4/127. 3-stage tower: coursed flint to first stage, flushwork to embattled parapet and to diagonal buttresses, relieving arch to blocked west doorway of alternate brick and knapped flint, similar voussoirs to west window, bell openings and porch arch; 2-light bell openings with panel tracery, west and south faces with clock faces and small square sound holes with Decorated tracery, square stair turret to north. Diagonal buttresses to west nave, that to north part encased by tower. South nave of uncoursed galletted broken flint, 2 tall 2-light Decorated windows, gable parapet and cross. 2 storeyed south porch with diagonal buttresses, ground floor of knapped flint, first floor of brick and flint chequerwork, returns partly rebuilt in irregular whole and broken flint and erratics, moulded stone cornice; hollow chamfered arch with ogee niche above, tall narrow window of 2 trefoil headed lights with transoms under a square head to second storey. Porch interior: first floor removed, 2 niches to first floor east wall; south doorway of plain chamfered jambs, moulded arch with stone corbels to extended stop ledges at ends of hood mould; ledged and bat toned door dated 1890 in nail heads, wrought iron decorative strap hinges. Chancel with lean-to pantile roof against Cll tower to north; windowless east wall of coursed flint and erratics, south wall of broken flint with oversailing brick cornice, two openings, that to left of 2 lights with very thick bar tracery under a segmental head, that to right of 3 cusp headed lights with mouchettes. North aisle of 1866 in large uncoursed flints, Y-tracery window to east, 3-light intersecting tracery to west; low lean- to vestry of 1866 between north aisle and Cll tower, large uncoursed flints, slate roof, tall chimney shaft in pebble flint to north east. Interior: 2-bay arcade to north of round piers with double chamfered arches, in north chancel wall the part exposed impost of a third arcade pier. Late C19 arch braced hammer beam roof with wall posts, Decorated fretwork spandels, arch braced chancel roof. Double hollow chamfered chancel arch rising from stone shield corbels, plain jambs; ogee headed piscina with polygonal drainage shaft; sedilia in dropped rear arch of south window; blocked 4-centred arch to north to Cll tower, small blocked doorway to north. Wrought iron ogee-headed bars to communion rails, pulpit with early C17 panels from a three decker pulpit, 4 C1S poppy heads incorporated into C19 bench ends, 2 with figures to shoulders; ogee-headed piscina to south nave; small niche inside south doorway.



Listing NGR: TG1117043032

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 224657

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing