REMAINS OF ST MARYS PRIORY

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1152495

Date first listed: 05-Jun-1953

Date of most recent amendment: 09-Oct-1985

Statutory Address: REMAINS OF ST MARYS PRIORY, BROOMSTHORPE

Map

Ordnance survey map of REMAINS OF ST MARYS PRIORY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1152495 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Nov-2018 at 23:00:37.

Location

Statutory Address: REMAINS OF ST MARYS PRIORY, BROOMSTHORPE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Norfolk

District: King's Lynn and West Norfolk (District Authority)

Parish: East Rudham

National Grid Reference: TF 84814 29021

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TF 82 NW EAST RUDHAM BROOMSTHORPE TF 8490 Remains of St. Mary's 7/1 Priory, Coxford (formerly listed as 5.6.53 Coxford Priory, Remains). II* Augustinian Priory Remains. Founded at St. Mary's Church, East Rudham (q.v.) removed here 1215. C13 and C15. Flint with stone dressings. North crossing arch of church with part of north chancel wall attached. Detached chancel north-east angle with buttresses at north-east. Internal elevation of crossing has double chamfered arch with inserted wall C15, upper window with tracery remains. Chamfered respond half pier of north crossing arch. Chancel north wall 2 storey internal elevation has blocked ground floor arch and 2 blocked first floor arches, one infilling the other, all C13. Detached north-east angle has stone dressed quoins and set-offs. Also known as Broomsthorpe Priory. Ancient Monument, County Number 93. See H.J. Dukinfield Astley 'Two Norfolk Villages' (Norwich 1900) pp. 5-ll.

Listing NGR: TF8481429021

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 221584

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Dukinfield Astley, HJ, Two Norfolk Villages, (1901), 5-11

End of official listing