PREMISES OCCUPIED BY THE NATIONAL WESTMINSTER BANK

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1152510
Date first listed:
28-Nov-1950
Statutory Address:
PREMISES OCCUPIED BY THE NATIONAL WESTMINSTER BANK, LONG STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of PREMISES OCCUPIED BY THE NATIONAL WESTMINSTER BANK
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1152510 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Oct-2019 at 02:11:05.

Location

Statutory Address:
PREMISES OCCUPIED BY THE NATIONAL WESTMINSTER BANK, LONG STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Dorset
District:
West Dorset (District Authority)
Parish:
Sherborne
National Grid Reference:
ST 63967 16537

Details

LONG STREET 1. 1625 (South-East Side) Premises occupied by The National Westminster Bank ST 6316 1/152 28.11.50. II GV 2. This building and Old Bank House (adjoining on left hand) originally one block of C16 to early C17 structure; the frontage to both is in early C19 Gothic-Revival style. Stucco front with 3 layers of stucco front with pebble-dash plinth and pierced parapet with Gothic arcading. On first floor, small window of 2-lights and four-centred heads. Right hand ground floor window later; of 5-lights in 3 tiers; hoodmould over. Doorway has 4-centred moulded arch with carving in spandrels and hoodmould. Recesses for scrapers. A stone mullioned window at the back appears to be part of the original ancient structure.

Premises occupied by Mr Pearson, Rose Cottage, former Castle Hotel, The Bank House, premises occupied by The National Westminster Bank, Old Bank House, and Abbot's Litten form a group with the timber framed structure to the rear of No 87 Cheap Street.

Listing NGR: ST6396716537

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
104047
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 24 May 2003
Reference: IOE01/10165/06
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Robert Bills. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].