CHURCH OF ST GEORGE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1152526

Date first listed: 25-Sep-1962

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST GEORGE, FLEGGBURGH ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST GEORGE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1152526 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Nov-2018 at 11:17:20.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST GEORGE, FLEGGBURGH ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Norfolk

District: Great Yarmouth (District Authority)

Parish: Rollesby

National Grid Reference: TG 44619 15759

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ROLLESBY FLEGGBURGH ROAD TG 41 NW (west side) 4/39 Church of St. George 25.9.62

- II*

Parish church. C12 base of west tower, early C14 upper stages of tower, nave, aisles and, in the later C14, the chancel. North porch 1496. 1874 east window unblocked, 1884 tower restored, 1885 major restoration : nave restored and re-roofed, floors, seats, windows restored, chancel arch, pulpit and reading desk. Cut flint with ashlar dressings. Black glazed pantiles to chancel, red pantiles to nave, lead to aisles and porch. 3 stage tower. Lower stage circular with a 2-light Perpendicular west window. Set-off to octagonal belfry and ringing chamber stages, the latter lit through one cusped west light. Louvred Y tracery belfry windows to alternate facets. Flushwork crenellated parapet. Aisles supported by diagonal east and west buttresses and stepped flanking buttresses. 3 cusped 2-light Y windows each side. South doorway is cusped and sub-cusped after the pattern of Court Style funerary monuments. Shallow gabled north porch 1496 with diagonal buttresses. 4-centred doorway with continuous mouldings and one order of shafts. Above apex is a canopied statuary niche. Ashlar kneelers to parapet. 2-light arched side windows. South clerestory of 4 encircled quatrefoils. North clerestory of 4 2-light late C14 lozenge windows. Chancel has diagonal flushwork east buttresses which develop into panelled pinnacles and match similar pinnacles to the west of the chancel. 2 3-light proto-Perpendicular windows to north and south separated by a stepped buttress. The north side also has a priests' door. 3-light Perpendicular east window below a C19 cusped circle in a square surround. Interior. South aisle is wider than the north. 4 bay arcade, the first pier from the west being circular, the remainder octagonal. Moulded capitals and bases. Double hollow chamfered arches. Wave moulded tower arch. Chancel arch dies into walls. Renewed nave roof of principals and purlins. Wall posts drop from wall plate. Octagonal font with 8 orbiting Purbeck marble columns and C19 bowl. Chancel roof C19 : principals, purlins, tie beams and collars. In south-east corner of chancel is a small room entered from north and west through 4-centred arches. Its purpose is a mystery. Monument to Rose Claxton 1601. Tomb chest with decorated top edge has suitably phrased valediction to her set within it. Reclining effigy on tomb chest in Elizabethan dress, of stone, once painted. She rests her head on right hand. In wall above the momument is a further inscription panel giving her biography and brief details of the mournful feelings occasioned in her friends upon her death. Alabaster wall monument to Leonard Mapes 1619. Leonard Mapes and wife are represented, in high relief, praying. Behind Leonard are several sons, behind wife 2 daughters. This panel bordered bya pair of black marble pilasters terminating in block entablatures. Predella panel depicts eldest son praying on one side and daughter-in-law and one daughter praying on the other.

Listing NGR: TG4461915759

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 227709

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing