CHURCH OF ST MARY THE VIRGIN

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1152535

Date first listed: 08-Jul-1959

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST MARY THE VIRGIN, CHURCH LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARY THE VIRGIN
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1152535 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Oct-2018 at 16:44:23.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST MARY THE VIRGIN, CHURCH LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Norfolk

District: King's Lynn and West Norfolk (District Authority)

Parish: Shouldham Thorpe

National Grid Reference: TF 66117 08009

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TF 60 NE SHOULDHAM THORPE CHURCH LANE

9/12 Church of St. Mary 8.7.59 The Virgin

- II*

Parish church. Early C12, rebuilt entirely 1858. Carstone with ashlar quoins and slate roof. Nave and chancel. Norman west door relocated from north when west tower fell 1732. 2 orders octagonal shafts with herringbone or chevron decoration support scalloped cushion capitals and incised square imposts. Multiple arch of zig-zag. 2-light west window above in Decorated style. Double bell-cote at apex. 2 south nave windows also 1858 but in chancel south 2 lancets of C13. 3-light east window. Vestry lean-to against north chancel wall, one Decorated window to right and 2 north nave windows, all C19. Interior. Nave roof of collars supported by arched braces to wall posts on corbels. Collar spandrels with open-work trefoils. Barrel braces to chancel roof. Lancets in chancel south wall have stilted rere- arches. C15 octagonal font with tracery panels to bowl and stem. Wall monument in nave to Jane, Anne and John Stouarde 1602 : stone and painted plaster. Central panel with 3 kneeling figures flanked by Tuscan engaged columns above inscription tablet. Moulded cornice below strapwork overthrow containing painted coat of arms. 3 further arms right, left and at apex. Wall tablet in chancel to Thomas Buttes 1600 : grey marble tablet with inscription plate at bottom, coat of arms top right and to left incised alabaster plaque depicting deceased kneeling before reading table in Flemish manner.

Listing NGR: TF6611708009

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 221344

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing