THE TOWN HALL

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1152666

Date first listed: 25-Oct-1988

Statutory Address: THE TOWN HALL, FORE STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of THE TOWN HALL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1152666 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Nov-2018 at 21:45:15.

Location

Statutory Address: THE TOWN HALL, FORE STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Devon

District: North Devon (District Authority)

Parish: Chulmleigh

National Grid Reference: SS 68726 14196

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

CHULMLEIGH FORE STREET, (west side), SS 6814 - 6914 Chulmleigh 7/76 The Town Hall GV II Town hall. 1846, altered in 1894. Rendered front gable end, otherwise unrendered stone rubble with brick dressings. Slate roof with bracketted front gable end. Plan: long, narrow rectangular plan, built gable end to street, the front and right side formerly open at ground floor level, the arched openings infilled in late C19. Central staircase with access from middle bay on right side. Exterior: 2 storeys. Front gable end of 2 bays, with rusticated quoins and ground floor below plat-band. Semi-circular arched windows to ground floor with vermiculated keystones. Cambered arched windows to upper storey with rendered stone reveals and aprons. Blind oculus to gable containing 1894 date. Right side of 7 bays of infilled semi-circular brick arched openings to ground floor, with weathered keystones, and semi-circular headed door of 2 panelled leaves to central bay. Upper storey openings similar to front gable end with cambered arches and principally 16 paned hornless sashes, the 2nd bay from the right end is blocked, and second bay from left end has larger opening with 24 paned sash. In circa 1900 the arcades were enclosed and The Town Hall converted into a basket- making workshop to provide labour for the poor of the town at the instigation of the vicar of Chulmleigh, Rev. Marsden Gibson.

Listing NGR: SS6872614196

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 97254

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing